Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i found a pigeon while i was walking i went beside it and it didnt move so i ran to the nearest store and got to bags and put the pigeon inside the bag it can barely move it has to hop on the non broken leg and if it falls it cant get backup :confused::confused:please i really need your help

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, you should never add new birds to your other birds until they are quarantined for a month, so I wouldn't put him in the coop. Besides you need to monitor him which is kinda hard in the coop. He needs to be kept warm. How do you know that a cat attacked him? A predator attack requires antibiotics so the bird doesn't die from infection.
What meds do you have?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have any ! I know because my own pigeons got attacked yesterday and i saw the cat ! I rescued all of them but one was a little hurt. I am only 13 my parents don't want any animals in the house so i had to sneak the pigeon in.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You are doing good. There' s no harm done to keep the pigeon in a box lined with a towel.
Does the pigeon have any wounds. You have to wash them and then apply antibiotic ointment.
Does he it on its own?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A cat attack is bad. Without antibiotics the bird can die from an infection they get from a cat scratch or bite. They can get sick and die within a weeks time.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Place your pigeon in the proper position in a box with a towel around his so he is comfortable on his leg. ( not to fall sideways)..Where is the joint swollen?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im in calgary i csnt see if his leg is swollen he or she keeps it up im supposed to wrap a towel arond him or just put 1 for him to sit on

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sorry , you're to far for me to help..I am in Ontario.
If it was the cat, could be the hip sprained, but your pigeon can hold the leg up so i think it's the knee/elbow.
Yes, put a folded towel underneath him to be soft enough so he doesn't feel much pain when laying down ( he may not be willing to lay down, which is OK, - He will not lay down if it's not comfortable) and a towel around him. Put paper towel underneath also so you just remove it when he poops.
Baytril, Amoxicillin are good to give. Amoxicilin is for humans, may be you find one from your friends ( you need just one pill, not even a whole pill). if you find tell us how many mg is in one pill.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It does, but it burns the skin..Best is saline water...If you cannot buy it you can make it: just put a cup of water hot with coarse salt 1 spoon and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Let it get warm to cold and wipe his wounds. Then apply antibiotic ointment like Polisporin.

The antibiotic we were telling you to give , it was not for the skin. Cat saliva can kill a pigeon. Pasturella goes in the wounds and then blood stream.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok look um i will try to make some saline water and i thought you ment i had to go to the vet for antibiotic ointment now i know polysporin is an antibiotic ointment and i was inspecting the pigeon closely i found out that the wing want injured it just had some feathers come off and i looked closely at its leg and found that it was broken on the very top of it just under the stomach i held the broken leg and was able to move it if u can tell me how to fix the upper part of the leg that will be great and can you please try to make the answers a little more specific i really dont know what antibiotics are

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Antibiotics are medicine. Like what the doctor gives you when you are sick. A cats saliva is full of bacteria, so often a bird will get pasteurella infection from a cat claw or bite. The bird, if he does get this infection will go down hill quickly and die.

It's pretty hard to set a leg without the help of a vet.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Antibiotics are medicine. Like what the doctor gives you when you are sick. A cats saliva is full of bacteria, so often a bird will get pasteurella infection from a cat claw or bite. The bird, if he does get this infection will go down hill quickly and die.

It's pretty hard to set a leg without the help of a vet.
Jay, he's just 13 yrs old and his parents wouldn't help.:(

1 - 20 of 68 Posts