Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first time here, I'm kinda desperate and need help.

I found a sick young pigeon 2 weeks ago, I took him to the vet two days later because his mouth had mucus and he was very low energy.
She prescribed Mycoconstantin (Nystatin), Panacur (and Animastrat in case of SOS).
He stopped eating and I had to feed him NutriBird pigeon formula.
After a few days and Vet visits he continued getting worse and ultimately died.

I have 3 other pigeons, all rescues. My eldest is 5 years old.
This one I first noticed to many urates (white stuff) on his droppings like 5 days ago. Compared to his normal droppings.
Yellowish watery droppings more recently.
He has been a little lower energy although he has appetite, I think its been getting worse..
I took him to the vet today, they are doing bloodwork and stool analysis but I'm still worried, it will take 1 or 2 days to get the results
He been sneezing occasionally, and I saw a little bit of yellow mucus on his nose after sneezing.
He also been stretching his neck and opening his mouth while doing it and it has me worried.

Can someone please help me? It would mean the world to me?
I love my pigeons and I feel so responsible.
The sick young pigeon barely had any contact with the others and I did my best to keep them apart and everything clean... but their still getting sick.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Sounds to me like canker or yeast. The vet should do a cropsmear to check for this. Did you look inside his beak and back of the throat for any yellow or whitish growths?

You can add some unfiltered natural apple cider vìnegar to their drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help till you get the results.

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is toxic to pigeons. Don't give this to your pigeons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like canker or yeast. The vet should do a cropsmear to check for this. Did you look inside his beak and back of the throat for any yellow or whitish growths?

You can add some unfiltered natural apple cider vìnegar to their drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help till you get the results.

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is toxic to pigeons. Don't give this to your pigeons.
First of all, thank you so much for the response.

I've been checking my three pigeons mouths pretty much daily since the young pigeon died. No yellow or whitish whatsoever on the throat. (aside the single yellow mucus on the bird nose that one time)
I've also been adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water every other day. The vet previously told me not to do every day because the acidity may cause irritation I think.
My one pigeon keeps sneezing like 2/3 times every now and then.He is resting a lot too, not necessarely asleep. Also he goes into his food tray and mostly looks at it. I've been choosing his favorite seed and putting it next to him to eat. He eats that, but he used to eat everything...

The vet did a physical analisys including the "cotton swab down the throat", is that the crop smear? The young pigeon I tried to rescue did have a lot of yellow before he died. But my Pigeon did not have anything I think.

Panacur is toxic to pigeons? My Vet told me it was a desinfestant and to give the young pigeon 0.1ml every day?

Currently, the vet told to give my pigeon Metacam 0.1ml every day for 5 days, also to put this Probiotic powder in its drinking water.

I don't have a coop, they are rescued, they are in my home where I let them roam inside the house for several hours a day. They do have their own cages.
I'm worried cause I think the other 2 already caught whatever this is. They are starting to have very white droppings like my pigeon had before he started losing energy.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
The pigeon that died probably had canker and for that metronidazole was needed. Yes, Panacur is a dewormer and toxic to pigeons. Type the name in the search section of this forum and read some threads reg this.

Metacam is for pain relieve and inflammation. I doubt this will help when a pigeon is sick. Can you post a photo of the droppings? The cotton swab down the throat was a cropsmear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pigeon that died probably had canker and for that metronidazole was needed. Yes, Panacur is a dewormer and toxic to pigeons. Type the name in the search section of this forum and read some threads reg this.

Metacam is for pain relieve and inflammation. I doubt this will help when a pigeon is sick. Can you post a photo of the droppings? The cotton swab down the throat was a cropsmear.
Will the bloodwork or the stool analisys show that he has canker? Should I just ask the vet for that medication anyway?

It is 9pm for me, I am about to put him in his spot so he can sleep. I don't know if I can get any recent droppings in the time being.
Also hes been in my room pooping on the floor so I mostly cleaned them and flushed them.
I'll most as soon as I have some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The first one on the cloth was at the end of the afternoon, that amount of white has been prevelant on most of the droppings.
The second one on the floor is , I think, after the first one. That dropping fell from a stool to the floor (0.5 meter drop)
The last one was the latest, its on the side of a wall because he was perching at the top of a door. on the wall is probably not very useful :( can't see the liquid that composed it.

Sorry if these aren't helpful, I'll try to add some better ones in the morning.

Edit: the last one is after I put him in his spot so he can sleep. There are 2 droppings on the paper.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first one on the cloth was at the end of the afternoon, that amount of white has been prevelant on most of the droppings.
The second one on the floor is , I think, after the first one. That dropping fell from a stool to the floor (0.5 meter drop)
The last one was the latest, its on the side of a wall because he was perching at the top of a door. on the wall is probably not very useful :( can't see the liquid that composed it.

Sorry if these aren't helpful, I'll try to add some better ones in the morning.

Edit: the last one is after I put him in his spot so he can sleep. There are 2 droppings on the paper.
How is Canker (Trichomoniasis) confirmed? I've been reading, isn't the medication possibly carcinagenic and neurotoxic?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
The droppings don't look too bad. The crop smear will reveal if any canker is present, although the droppings don't look like canker droppings. I'm posting a list of canker symptoms to look out for in future. Lets wait and see what the vet says.
Font Document Number Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
These are his droppings overnight. He still very low energy and appears to have a little yellow gunk on his right nostril again, He sneezes and scratches himself to make himself sneeze.
Also he steps into his food tray and doesn't eat. Only eats the few seeds I give him.

The young Pigeon that died, he presented with most of those symptoms and the vet never sugested canker.
He was skinny but he still attempted to eat seeds and fly when he first came here.
He stopped eating so I noticed the yellow gunk in his mouth, went to the vet, she said Candida and prescribed Mycostatin (Nystatin), Panacur and Animastrath.
He kept not eating and looking worse (barely moving) so I went there again, they kept him for a day to tube feed him, said his smelly feces indicated liver problems. Also said he couldn't empty his crop. Gave him a shot of something and a medication to empty the crop and how to manually feed him, said to come back the next day for another shot.
By next day he still barely moved, took him there, they said he still wasn't empty his crop, losing weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Those droppings look good, he is definitely eating. The urates are white, which is also good. He might have respiratory issues. Do you give your pigeons vitamins? Lack of vitamin A can also cause similar issues. Smelly droppings is not a sign of liver problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those droppings look good, he is definitely eating. The urates are white, which is also good. He might have respiratory issues. Do you give your pigeons vitamins? Lack of vitamin A can also cause similar issues. Smelly droppings is not a sign of liver problems.
I don't know if they lack vitamins, but I do use 3 different types of mixtures.
Also usually put the big grit thats in the blue bag. Those are chunky.
Less often I put the small grit on the little bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Let us know what the vet says.
So here is what the vet said today:
Hemogram has high Hemogloblin 21.7 regular values 10.7 - 14.9
Hemocrit 65.10 regular values 39.3 - 59.4
Monocytes 4 regular value 1 - 3

She said it means he was only dehydrated.
The stool analysis was completely normal.

I mentioned Canker, she said it exists normally in birds and he has no indication of having it.

Mentioned the mucus on the nostril that happened twice she "gave me" (13€) Baytril for Cats (Enrofloxacin) to give 0.1 ml for 8 days.
Hes also still supposed to take Metacam 0.1ml for 5 days.

What do you guys think? Medicine for cats? I don't know but all I heard I'm losing confidence in the vet.
Feel my birds health is still compromised, lost the rescue bird, and payed well over 200€ in 2 weeks...

Please let me know if you think the Antibiotic is safe MarinaB. And thank you so much for your responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Baytril will help for bacteral infections. Although I've never used this as one can only get from a vet in our country. For infections I use an amoxycillin based meds that I get from a pharmacy. I guess Baytril for cats will be fine, even human meds can be used for birds as long as the dosage is correct. Do you have probiotics to give during treatment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Baytril will help for bacteral infections. Although I've never used this as one can only get from a vet in our country. For infections I use an amoxycillin based meds that I get from a pharmacy. I guess Baytril for cats will be fine, even human meds can be used for birds as long as the dosage is correct. Do you have probiotics to give during treatment?
Yes, I had gotten probiotics from the vet, I've been mixing it in the water for a few days as per her request.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
His droppings and appetite are still not back to normal.
But he does seem more as himself, even before starting taking the antibiotic.

Today morning he has some dried mucus in his nostrils which I gently removed with a cotton swab. It didn't appear to be bothering him though. (Pics 1 and 2)
Between the dehydration, low energy, sneezing, the fact that he was rubbing his eyes against his wings a lot (which I forgot to mention before) and the fact that hes getting dried mucus as he (hopefully) gets better almost looks like a regular human cold/flu... but I thought birds didn't get diseases that way... what do I know though.

My white pigeon is sneezing a lot too now, but he is acting fine so far. (thats an older pic from when he hurt a leg)
My gray pigeon looks perfectly fine and I hope he stays that way. (also an older picture).

Marina B thank you so much for the responses, it helped me a lot.
I'll continue keeping a close eye on them to make sure they get better.
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope you see improvement soon. Might just be a respiratory infection and the Baytril will sort that out.
His Ceres is still very red even though he is on the anti-flammatory and the antibiotics. Should I be worried? He does scratch it a lot when he wants to make himself sneeze, which he is not doing as often now. Barely sneezed the whole afternoon.

His droppings are very watery, but he is drinking a lot of the water with probiotics so I'm not really worried about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Give the meds time to work. Ideally the vet needed to give an anti-fungal meds like Nystatin as well. To prevent a yeast infection while on antibiotics.
I do have the Mycostatin (Nystatin). I'll keep a close eye on his mouth for white or yellowish stuff while adminstering the meds, I kinda scared to add to the meds if I don't have to :S

1 - 20 of 35 Posts