Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies to all, especially Pigeonfan94.

During the process of merging two threads, the entire new thread has been wiped out.

Sorry, but no way of retrieving

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
John, no problem these things happen sometimes.

This thread's synopsis: Pigeonfan94 wrote that he has a 3 day old baby that had been badly scalped and a very badly injured eye by a cock bird who fought with the baby's father. He has brought the baby inside to hand raise as the nest mate had died earlier of a cause I can't quite remember, but I think it was being thrown from the nest.

Pigeonfan94, if you need to be reminded of anything that was in the thread, just ask and I will post anything you can't quite remember. How is the little one doing today? Below are the two links I posted yesterday:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=144601&postcount=4

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/hand-feeding-baby-pigeons-from-day-one-9918.html

Remember keep the baby at around 92 degrees, when feeding do not feed again before the crop has emptied, make sure the food is not too hot, but also make sure that it is not too cool, as if the food is cool the baby will not process it in a timely way and in fact, cool food can cause the crop to stagnate and stop working right.

The food should be around 102-104 degrees. Do not use a micro to heat food as this causes hot spots, I usually heat some water in a small pot, almost to the boil, and set into this water, in a separate dish, the food. I then stir with my finger until it is to the temperature it should be (102-104) and feed. Use a thermometer to test for temperature for a while, then in a short period of time you will know what the correct temperature feels like just by touch and not need a thermometer. Be careful not to feed too much, a little less is better than a little more.

I had asked in the lost thread that people step up and help Pigeonfan94 and his baby if they possible can, so just a reminder if he posts and you can help, please do, in any way you can. I am sure I have missed a few things in my list above, please chime in with things I forgot to mention.

MsFreebird and Altgirl35 had made some posts, if they could post the information the best they can, this would be good, MsFreebird made quite a good post and photo on feeding.

Thanks,

Karyn

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i think the only thing i brought up was an alternative to commercial handfeeding formula since they couldn't get to a store that has it.
i asked them to post the nutritional info and ingredients on the chicken feed they had to see if we could add anything to make it more proper diet for the baby.
pigeonfans silence is making me think the little one didn't make it

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts