Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey friends,

First of all,, one of my male was affected by a white globular mass in his buccal cavity 3 weeks before. I treated with metro 50 mg per day, and he cured. I let him join the flock only after the maas gone. 1 week before, one female affected with sour crop and died. so , I started treating the flock with metro 25 mg per day . yeaterday. , I found 3 of my pigeons having some white spots or marks inside buccal cavity. one is having the same symptoms of the previous cancer affected male. But , the others are having those marks on the folds of buccal roof. One belongs to the second category eating less. Really worried about my birds. Wanna do something fast. Please help!

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Gautham, same symptoms Chloe had. Would ask the vet to do a scraping or culture. If it isn't canker it could be yeast. Chloe responded to baytril because she initially had white abscesses due to staph. But then she got a yeast crop infection. She had circovirus. Ideal would be a necropsy on your poor deceased bird or a culture from the throat white spots of the living birds. Am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gautham, same symptoms Chloe had. Would ask the vet to do a scraping or culture. If it isn't canker it could be yeast. Chloe responded to baytril because she initially had white abscesses due to staph. But then she got a yeast crop infection. She had circovirus. Ideal would be a necropsy on your poor deceased bird or a culture from the throat white spots of the living birds. Am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.
But I don't have a vet in our area. Only available one is a government polyclinic vet and he is not an expert in pigeons. Also, there is no system for such advanced treatment. Candida or cancer?? I've got fleuconazol. should I try it also?

·
Registered
282 Posts
so in this situation, you have to treat your birds with enrofloxin [batyril] , metronidazole [25 mg is very less, give them 50 mg tablet part once a day for 7-10 days directly down the throat] and then with fluconadozle. this will cover up most of the things, you need to react fast to save your birds

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so in this situation, you have to treat your birds with enrofloxin [batyril] , metronidazole [25 mg is very less, give them 50 mg tablet part once a day for 7-10 days directly down the throat] and then with fluconadozle. this will cover up most of the things, you need to react fast to save your birds
Thank you sinu.Fleuconazole 10 mg. what about the dosage of baytril??

·
Registered
282 Posts
and yes there's something wrong going on with the surrounding your pigeons are living. clean the loft daily, dont leave your pigeons in open ground to grace [strictly], feed balanced and give clean water and, use supplements. and most important for good health make sure they get fresh air and loft has good ventilation

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and yes there's something wrong going on with the surrounding your pigeons are living. clean the loft daily, dont leave your pigeons in open ground to grace [strictly], feed balanced and give clean water and, use supplements. and most important for good health make sure they get fresh air and loft has good ventilation
Oh. I clean the loft frequently, and no problem in ventilation . I afraid they pick up too much soil along with strange things.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
In order to be able to help your birds, we need visual (pictures) of where the birds are, their coop-inside and outside, if coop is off ground...what kind of food they are eating, the condition of the seed, what kind of water they are drinking. PLEASE PROVIDE PICTURES.

No amount of medication/drugs is going to help your birds, and problems will be re-occuring, if there are issues with housing-enough space for each bird, ventilation, cleanliness, weather/draft proofing, if any roaches,mice or rats can get into their coop-BIG problems. All these things will affect their health.

Do not allow them to range feed if the ground is contaminated, toxic, poisonous, or you don't know condition.

Pigeons have little needs but those needs are extremely important for their health and well being.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In order to be able to help your birds, we need visual (pictures) of where the birds are, their coop-inside and outside, if coop is off ground...what kind of food they are eating, the condition of the seed, what kind of water they are drinking. PLEASE PROVIDE PICTURES.

No amount of medication/drugs is going to help your birds, and problems will be re-occuring, if there are issues with housing-enough space for each bird, ventilation, cleanliness, weather/draft proofing, if any roaches,mice or rats can get into their coop-BIG problems. All these things will affect their health.

Do not allow them to range feed if the ground is contaminated, toxic, poisonous, or you don't know condition.

Pigeons have little needs but those needs are extremely important for their health and well being.

thank you Skyeking . I think I should not leave them graze in ground anymore. I'll take more care.

·
Banned
569 Posts
I would get educated on canker in pigeons, it's not "cancer". Australian pigeon with Dr Colin walker is a good site for flock management. Educate yourself, then find a good online source for medications. Google pigeon supply. Or you can shop dr walker as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PLEASE PROVIDE PICTURES of their living quarters...
sorry skyeking. It takes too much time for uploading. I'll post tomorrow. The Loft were on terrace. All birds were healthy and devoid of any disease . 2 months before, due to some problems, I was forced to move loft to ground. Then , started diseases I've never faced before. So, I guess eating soil along with strange things in it , and absence of direct sunlight may contributed diseases.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
sorry skyeking. It takes too much time for uploading. I'll post tomorrow. The Loft were on terrace. All birds were healthy and devoid of any disease . 2 months before, due to some problems, I was forced to move loft to ground. Then , started diseases I've never faced before. So, I guess eating soil along with strange things in it , and absence of direct sunlight may contributed diseases.
It is not only EATING from the ground, but their housing needs to be OFF the ground, at least a foot or two.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.