Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Took Walter in for a vet re-check on Friday because his preen gland looked more swollen. She pulled off the scab and out popped a pea sized lump of solidified pus! Now that the blockage has been removed, the healing should continue.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Where is that and how can you tell? Do you have pictures?
Hi KIM,I know that your question was answered in an earlier post but there is one thing that I feel you should know, that is not all pigeons have an oil gland it seem that many of the pigeon breeds that have more then 12 tail feathers DO NOT have an oil gland. Indian and American fantails are two such breeds. ...........GEORGE;)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
We have preen oil!

Although it's still very enlarged, Walter's preen gland is now scab free. Early last week, I expressed a 2" "strand" of...gunk - it was the thickness and color of very thin spaghetti. Several days later, I expressed an inch of more translucent..gunk. Then, early this week, I got a drop of clear oil!!! So, his preen gland seems to be functioning. If there is no further improvement by next week, I'll take him in to the vet to see if the enlargement is due to an infection or something else.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The vet didn't feel there was an infection, so I am just continuing home care. I check his preen gland every few days to see if it is producing oil or if some gunk needs to be expressed. There is slow steady progress. He enjoys his sun baths and spending time with his hen - happy pigeon!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so happy to hear the progress, I'm sure your wonderful care of him has made all the difference.

Thanks for the update.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts