Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am trying to discourage our pairs from breeding. One is recovering from surgery for retained eggs. Have heard that it helps to minimize food , get rid of nesting sources, andshorten the photoperiod, as well as to move things around the cage. Any other tips.?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Covered the shed windows with cardboard so. can reduce their photoperiod to 8 hrs per day. Am changing their food from seed to Harrisons pellets. Need desperately to shut down breeding. Our female who had surgery for retained eggs and her mate are frantic to breed. i separated them. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about pigeon pants? You'd have to change the pant liners frequently, but it might be a bit of a preventative measure

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting idea. Would stop impregnation. Sadly however we have to somehow stop ovulation...Fiona had her uterus removed but apparently still has her ovary so can keep generating eggs! Have covered the shed windows so i can limit daylight to just 8 hrs per day. But her mate is so obsessed, even being in another cage, that he will not eat. Am trying to convince them that it is not breeding season.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Most pigeons should stop ovulating once the oviduct is removed. I’d bring her to the vet for frequent ovary checks, and if they are active use deslorelin or lupron to shut it down. I would never count on environmental changes to prevent egg laying in pigeons. They’re domestic animals (unlike parrots), and have a similar reproductive drive to chickens. Even if you keep them completely isolated, I’ve known pigeons to bond with inanimate objects and build a nest on the ground out of their own feathers.
I track egg laying closely in my pigeons, and if anyone stops laying or lays abnormal eggs they get a vet check. My one pigeon with chronic egg laying issues gets a deslorelin implant every 6 months.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what to do. Dr Speer didnt want to do a deslorelin implant on Fiona (said they only last 49 days) and told me to do environmental changes. Fiona and Blue immediately postured, kissed, and tried to mate. I dont want Fiona to have egg laying peritonitis but dont want Blue (who is in a separate cage and not eating) to get sick. I hate separating them because they are bonded. Will callMedical Center for Birds tomorrow. It has been 10 days since Fionas extensive surgery. How do they do an ovary check? Fiona was full of mummified eggs stuck to her uterus. Our first pigeon, Phoebe, had implants regularly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The implant works for 6 months in my pigeon. The vet can check the ovaries with an ultrasound probe.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Will ask our exotics vet if he might be able to do an ultrasound on a pigeon ovary (because we are five hours away each way from Dr Speer). How often do you have an ovary ultrasound of the ovary ultrasound done?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I can tell when my pigeon is going to start laying based on behavior, and I now know it lasts exactly 6 months in her, so she doesn’t get them. When my vet does a salpingectomy, she likes to see the bird back in 1-2 months to check if they’re ovulating, and then every 6 months.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fiona and Blue are in repro mode. I cant afford another 1000 mile trip to Dr Speer right away. Can an exotics vet do an ovary ultrasound?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. If Fiona had s alpingohysterectomy 10 days ago, and she and her mate are in breeding mode, how soon should she have an ultrasound exam? I have read that birds usually reabsorb eggs that end up in the abdominal cavity...but dont want her to get coelemic peritonitis, after all she has been through. Fiona and Blue are just doing what they are programmed to do. I. hate separating them. Blue already evaded red tailed hawks a few years ago to get back to her when he accidentally got out of the shed. I know they are totally bonded. I am trying to take good care of them. It bothers me that she wants to make eggs again right after her surgery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts