Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I let my youngsters out for the first time, 20 of them. I got home from work at 7:30am(I work the 8pm to whenever works done pretty much 7am shift) well, caged up the birds that werent ready to go out I opened the avariy an took a seat and thats the last thing I remember. I woke up to a dry mouth from the sun beaming down on me at 1:00pm. Girlfriend said she thought I was just focusing on the birds thats why she left me out there for so long. Needless to say I didnt see the birds take off an now 2 are unaccounted for. 16 are in the loft 2 are out flying around an the other 2 are just missing. So now I write this post with a brand new tan lol........ Hope the 4 that are still out come back....

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you need a couple toothpicks to keep them eyes open....LOL...

I think, jmo now. that the first time letting out it is good to do it about an hour before sundown and eating time, just for an hour or half hour, then call them in, when they get flying good and more sure of themselves and more aware of preditors then they can loft fly at just about anytime of day as long as they are hungry enough to call them in. but sounds like you had a nice fresh air nap there....the 2 may show up in a day or two.:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I like letting them out later in the day but I was told that with homers Especially homers you let out early so if they do route they have enough time to come back....I dont know I think I should listen to myself for what works for me in the past instead of changing things up lol... Yeah I had a good nap neck hurts though lol

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yeah I like letting them out later in the day but I was told that with homers Especially homers you let out early so if they do route they have enough time to come back....I dont know I think I should listen to myself for what works for me in the past instead of changing things up lol... Yeah I had a good nap neck hurts though lol
well they will not route the first time out,or second or third. that takes awhile, heck mine never route. I finally had to take them down the road when they started flying together and got the hang of it. but of course do what you think is best for your birds.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Spirit wings is right. Before dark, an hour or two is best they can not roam so far. I have had friends do the same morning routine, and their flocks were spooked by a hawk, or whatever, and they lost TONS of birds. If they stay out over night using the evening method, they will be close enough to find home in the morning.Once they are real settled you can fly them anytime. ;)Dave

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well I let my youngsters out for the first time, 20 of them. I got home from work at 7:30am(I work the 8pm to whenever works done pretty much 7am shift) well, caged up the birds that werent ready to go out I opened the avariy an took a seat and thats the last thing I remember. I woke up to a dry mouth from the sun beaming down on me at 1:00pm. Girlfriend said she thought I was just focusing on the birds thats why she left me out there for so long. Needless to say I didnt see the birds take off an now 2 are unaccounted for. 16 are in the loft 2 are out flying around an the other 2 are just missing. So now I write this post with a brand new tan lol........ Hope the 4 that are still out come back....
I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago. I didn't take a nap though. :D I just let my birds out for the first time.....they were older........around 75 days to be exact, but it is what it is and I do the best I can with these early youngsters...........anyway.........I too released 20 birds. Most of them stay on the loft and I called them in. One however would not come in. And I mean ALL DAY long..........was still on the loft when it got dark. It got spooked by a cat :)mad:) around 10:30 and we have no idea where it went or HOW it got there in the dark.........we searched around the loft, under the loft and in the surrounding woods with flashlights and could NOT find the bird. He showed up the next morning though no worse for wear. I had three that took to the skys and were dots in no time flat. One of those came back later in the day. One came in the next morning and one, I haven't seen since. So, I wound up loosing one out of 20.
Just watch for the missing ones tomorrow morning if they don't show up tonight.

G

·
yup once they are in the air its out of your hands pretty much but like was said earlier young birds out for the first time dont route so evenings are better for their first time releases;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I never cared for letting YB`s out late in the day,when it`s the first few times out...Once I had 35 YB`s flying,and tripping real good...I let them out at 7pm one day,and after about an hour of flying,there was a hawk attack...He didn`t get any,but I left my lofts at 9:15 pm,and the birds were over a main highway,by my lofts,and I never seen 23 of them again..It was allmost pitch black,all the cars had their lights on,and the birds were fling low above the cars,so that they can see I guess...That was the last time that I let my YB`s out that late in the day...6pm is my cut off...That`s 3 hours before dark...Incase of anything bad happening,that should be enough time to get them down and in before dark.....Alamo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.