Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Have been gone since Friday - hope everyone State-side had as wonderful a Memorial Day weekend as we did!!!

Magellan did, in fact, spend the weekend loose in the garage. Other than being quite thirsty and a bit hungry - - he's none the worse for it. We got home on Sunday and he quite quickly took himself into the Rabbit Hutch when he realized I had put some water in there for him. Once in the hutch - he was easily moved back out to the loft.

What we were NOT planning on hearing from our housesitting friends, was that Luna got out:eek: Seems they chose to leave the door open (screen on) even tho' I had told them that was how Magellan had gotten out....therefor, NOT to leave the door open. Well - they did :mad:...and Luna flew....apparently for nearly 6 hours:eek: Fortunately, she wasn't eaten by a hawk, did come back, AND she let them catch her to put her back in the loft (we don't have a trap...'cuz our birds don't free fly).

Yeah - I was NOT happy that this happened but, I must say, was THRILLED to know that one of our babies took a flyer AND found its way home. I don't know that I'll ever be brave enough to do that intentionally - but it's pretty cool that she could do that.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Wow! Exciting adventure! That Luna is smart, capable bird. It could be a lunatic, too! :p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good lord! I'm certainly relieved that you have Luna back safe and sound. I'd have pitched a fit. And it's nice that Magellan is happily reunite with his mate. And I'm glad you had a nice trip. We had a nice quiet weekend, and I spent a couple of hours today cleaning and disinfecting the loft. It looks so nice when I'm done. Tomorrow it will look like I never touched it! And put the finishing touches on a new nest box for my young ones. Then we did some yard work that we just haven't been able to get to. Tomorrow is back to work, and I feel like I need a day off! LOL.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Oh my, doesn't it just make you never want to leave home again?? I always say no one can take care of my animals like I do, but I must admit I really miss vacations. . .:cool: So glad to hear everything worked out! They must be as ready for a relaxing day as you are. So much for a calm vacation!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Life is always eventful when you have pigeons, eh? ;) I have to say, I have had my heart in my mouth on many occasions since taking up this hobby (or should I say, lifestyle change?) - mostly when the pigeons are flying free. Luna did very well, and no doubt her accidental release has given you an opportunity to see a facet of her character that you might have missed otherwise. Perhaps you will get the bug and start letting them all fly free! We went for a hiking trip for 5 days last week, and setting up the pigeons to be self-sufficient for that long seemed like a major enterprise; thankfully, all went well (son was only available to check on them on day 4 - and fortunately only needed to freshen up their water). I was relieved to get back and find them flourishing still, but my concern for them was a constant nag at the back of my mind - just like having small children all over again! As I said, a lifestyle change (or reversion) rather than a hobby!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi all. Have been gone since Friday - hope everyone State-side had as wonderful a Memorial Day weekend as we did!!!

Magellan did, in fact, spend the weekend loose in the garage. Other than being quite thirsty and a bit hungry - - he's none the worse for it. We got home on Sunday and he quite quickly took himself into the Rabbit Hutch when he realized I had put some water in there for him. Once in the hutch - he was easily moved back out to the loft.

What we were NOT planning on hearing from our housesitting friends, was that Luna got out:eek: Seems they chose to leave the door open (screen on) even tho' I had told them that was how Magellan had gotten out....therefor, NOT to leave the door open. Well - they did :mad:...and Luna flew....apparently for nearly 6 hours:eek: Fortunately, she wasn't eaten by a hawk, did come back, AND she let them catch her to put her back in the loft (we don't have a trap...'cuz our birds don't free fly).

Yeah - I was NOT happy that this happened but, I must say, was THRILLED to know that one of our babies took a flyer AND found its way home. I don't know that I'll ever be brave enough to do that intentionally - but it's pretty cool that she could do that.
yeah, folks tend to freak when the bird gets out, and it is going to happen sooner or later. they are more homerish than we give them credit for I think. glad she did not take off...:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support everyone! Now that a few days have passed, I'm MUCH :eek: calmer about it all!!! No question - it was gonna happen eventually. I'm just glad it was one hatched here at Wolfwood as she knows no other home. Don't know if it made any difference, but she happens to be a Homer x Roller mix. The hawks are out in numbers ... so, if nothing else, her "pedigree" may have helped her with speed!! Of course, now that she has experienced the *OUTSIDE* and is a Woman of the World, she may have decided that she really likes it! Gives her bragging rights over the other young birds, too:D. Gonna have to keep an extra eye on her ...

Magellan is the only adult who we've even considered letting fly so it wasn't really a problem that he was out...just bad timing as we were leaving for the weekend and a non-pigeon oriented friend was staying at the house. Magellan came to/adopted us from the *BIG WORLD* and, clearly, owns the garage so we're fairly confident he'd come back on his own. Actually, even when he was free to come & go, he'd only take a lap around the fields before coming back to the garage.

As for the others, they're all rescues and there's no telling where they'd end up -- they're perfectly happy in the loft - eating, bathing, & making babies (or so they think:rolleyes:) - yanno...doin' what pijjies do:D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Wow........you had lots going on. Glad everyone is safe and sound. Depending on how our lofts are set up, it is only a matter of time before a bird escapes that we don't WANT to escape. I've got a hallway, so even though I've had birds escape out of thier section, they could never actually get out of the loft, so I've never had one get LOOSE loose as in outside loose........I've done my share of chasing up and down the hallway though........LOL

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We'll have an aviary - - eventually. Then, I may just LOCK the door when we go away. We'll build in a small opening for the "caretaker" to slide the food & water through.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts