Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best pair hatched their first young of 2014 and it turns out it has a bit of a zipper frill down the chest.

I was going to send it off to a one loft race, but now i don't know. It seems to me that it would make the bird less aerodynamic and slow it down.

Does anyone have experience racing a bird with frill? Does it make any difference in racing performance? :confused:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have had a few frills and they never seam to race better than average but if the bird is of good blood keep it in your own loft and race it , just might make a good breeder some day , but test it first. I wouldn't send it to a money race.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The legend has it that frilled homers are inbred and therefore make for good breeders. In my experience I can't say that it's necessarily true. Much of that thought comes from a paragraph in the well-read book by Joe Rotundo. It could very well be true in his family of birds, but doesn't necessarily translate to others. I've had frills perform very well as racers and one of the stupidest, frustrating birds I've every had was a frill. In other words, ignore it IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My frill

Just to put my 2 cents in. Last year young birds I bred a blue frill IF 13 EPR 221 and gave it to my good friend Asbury "Bubby" Hopewell (Shock Trauma Lofts) to fly. I THOUGHT it looked ugly and the frill would slow it down. BIG MISTAKE that hen flew great for him winning Champion Young Birds United Pigeon Combine (UPC) 2013 young birds. She won 2 club races. 1st combine vs 1189 birds, 74 lofts on 150 mile race by over 5 minutes. I guess without the frill she would have really blown the race out lmao. By the way I got 2nd in that race but not a frill. She also won 19th combine vs 651 birds, 67 lofts.

I was told the same thing, that she would be a good breeder but not flier.

Of course i'm hoping for another frill!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Let us know how you make out, I am curious. I sold a whole family when 2 birds threw 2 crested. Traced it back to the gr. grandmother of both parents. I did buy 2 birds with a frill, didn't realize the frill. One lost most of the frill as it got older, but after it puffs up in the cold it shows more. The other it shows. Two different owners same strain. So I am curious how you make out.
Kurps

Added ; the reason it had to be gr. grandma is I found out on PT that in order for there to be a crest both birds had to carry the gene, and both birds had the same gr. grandma.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
There should be NO drag caused by the SMALL frill on the frontal of any race bred bird. As mentioned in a post it is believed from an inbred breeding. Ihave seen more frills in the past severasl years that have cropped up in several lofts. So I do believe in part it is so. Now remember back in the begining development of the racing pigeon A frilled type birds was used. Far as a fault its fault would be LOOKS. and easy to keep OFFSET. by not pairing frilled to frilled.. The only way to tell how the bird will race is race it. AND if the frill bothers you You can even keep it trimmed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good info. Just for the record, the mating that produced this youngster was a cross. Sire was a line bred "Queen Elizabeth" and Hen was from a son and daughter of "Sun Goddess" when she was mated to different cocks.

This is the first frill they have produced in three years.

-Cal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts