Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been throwing the idea around of interviewing some Master Breeders and other experts on pigeons I know and posting the interviews here on Pigeon Talk, to share the valuable information they possess.
A lot of pigeon greats have been dying off and many more are old and in poor health.
I think it would be good to gather what knowledge we can from them and share it to improve our sport.
This will entail a lot of work on my part and before I start I have a few questions for the members.
Would you the members be interested in seeing the interviews?
What questions would you like asked?
What aspects of the pigeon hobby would you like covered
I know experts in both show and racing.
I would also like to see other members interview the experts they know and share their findings.
Please let me know your ideas and opinions.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hi Keith, thanks for the initiative :) We do have a lot of questions and answers here and there in pigeon talk, so I think a specific question and answer would result mainly in a duplication of information. (No I am not a pessimist please ;) ) What I would really like to know or hear from master breeders in show and racing, is their day to day schedule and work with the pigeons and loft. Like the breeding and raising system they have. The preventive maintainence routine. The day to day loft activities. Special activities carried out other than the daily routine for a specific reason. Their observations or success with an out of box approach (in breeding, disease cure) etc. It would be very helpfull for the new hobbyists, including me :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I Agree

Hi Keith, thanks for the initiative :) We do have a lot of questions and answers here and there in pigeon talk, so I think a specific question and answer would result mainly in a duplication of information. (No I am not a pessimist please ;) ) What I would really like to know or hear from master breeders in show and racing, is their day to day schedule and work with the pigeons and loft. Like the breeding and raising system they have. The preventive maintainence routine. The day to day loft activities. Special activities carried out other than the daily routine for a specific reason. Their observations or success with an out of box approach (in breeding, disease cure) etc. It would be very helpfull for the new hobbyists, including me :)
I agree with Sreesh.........

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd be interested in anything they have to say.:)
I agree with Msfreebird. Pigeon people like to talk pigeon, pigeon people also like to listen to pigeon talk.

My cousin and I talk on the average an hour every night about pigeons. Very rarely does a night go by when we don't.

Maybe when your interviewing you can record the conversation as it comes natural and build from there. Just my thoughts about a great idea you have.

Walter

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd like to know a little bit more about show and fancy pigeons. It seems most people are into the racing and preformance breeds.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I, too, would be interested in anything they have to say! :) I suppose specific Q's would depend on what area they are best in. Like if they race, show, breed (for like one loft races, etc), or are gurus at other things like genetics or medicine.

I think it would be wonderful to hear from some Master Breeders. If you're going by the NPA title of 'Master Breeder', then their info would be great to add to the individual Breed pages here on PT.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh, and if you do interview them make sure you invite them on to Pigeon Talk!!! lol

·
Registered
503 Posts
Great idea Keith! Although if you go to Siegel websites every month he gives a detail instruction on what to do in the loft and he also have Stefan Martin interview champion loft and they also do talk about their loft and their regiment. I just thought I pass this along.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a list of some of the people I am planning to interview for Pigeon Talk.

Gary Yount, who is a Master Breeder for Saddle Racing Homers and a founding Member of Saddle Homers of America. He also raises and shows Lahores, Frills, German Beauty Homers, American Show Racers, Show Homers and Serama Chickens.

Marvin Keiser, who was in the US Pigeon Corp up until it was disbanded. He was allowed to keep some of the homing pigeons that were retired from service. He raises around 20 breeds of pigeons, wild turkeys, pea fowl, white tail deer, racoons, ornamental pheasants, ducks, donkeys and pulling ponies.

Don Oberdier, who is one of most winning pigeon racers in Ohio.

Two others I need to approach still, that I have talked to in the past, are Dick Williamson the former Editor In Chief of American Pigeon News And Mike Tyson.

If anyone has anything they would like me to ask any of these Pigeon People, please let me know. I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Your getting right out there and doing the leg work--I will be keeping an eye on your post--might be really interesting--Ask them what kind of nest materials they use for their babies and what size is their loft and how many birds do they have and what do they do with the surplus??? Those answers will be interesting for me and if I can help in any small way in my area--Let me know....c.hert

·
Registered
795 Posts
Master Breeders, and other people that I/ you know.
That's quite a classification!
Is this specifically for Pigeon Fanciers in General, or Anyone that stops in and reads Pigeon Talk? (you know, the every day people).
I've kinda got this feeling, especally around here, that there are more Non Racers, then there are Racers.
Master Breeders, well without them, the many different (colorful/odd) breeds of Pigeons wouldn't be around.
Lately, I Honestly think that most Pigeon Keepers, the World over, are Very Satisfied with keeping up with the amount/quantity/quality of good healthy Pigeons available.
The problem to adress would more abt to be: The Unwanted/abused/neglected Pigeons in our humane society.
Science is Fact. To be proud of science is to be proud of Nature! :D
Celebrate! Do what you can to improve the peticular kind of Pigeons that you Honor!
And, I Will Do The Same. :cool:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Master Breeders, and other people that I/ you know.
That's quite a classification!
Is this specifically for Pigeon Fanciers in General, or Anyone that stops in and reads Pigeon Talk? (you know, the every day people).
I've kinda got this feeling, especally around here, that there are more Non Racers, then there are Racers.
Master Breeders, well without them, the many different (colorful/odd) breeds of Pigeons wouldn't be around.
Lately, I Honestly think that most Pigeon Keepers, the World over, are Very Satisfied with keeping up with the amount/quantity/quality of good healthy Pigeons available.
The problem to adress would more abt to be: The Unwanted/abused/neglected Pigeons in our humane society.

Science is Fact. To be proud of science is to be proud of Nature! :D
Celebrate! Do what you can to improve the peticular kind of Pigeons that you Honor!
And, I Will Do The Same. :cool:
Ya, but a separate topic all together. Learning is a constant process, atleast for beginners like me, its the master breeders and master racers from whom I want to hear :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts