Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have three yb's that are 35 days old now. a guy was telling me to "start working them through the traps now."
here is a pic of my loft

i keep the bottom Avery door open and the top exit door open(left top door) and the bobs are in place that are in top center door (hard to see in the pic)with the removal top wire cage. can u explain to me "start working them through the traps?"

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, some people here seem to get Carried away with trap training,.
All it means is get them used to a ONE way into the Loft, and they can not get out. (control). It is the Easiest thing involved in Pigeon keeping.
Do a Search on traps, Ect, and go from there.
My New Budapest High Flyers are settled... no trap JUST Management.
Any Young Bird that Goes thru the Boobs, two or three times, will do it the rest of their Lives... Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I agree Dave. My birds learned to trap in 3 training session. They learn fast except that with bob, they almost always are hesitant to enter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've never had to train any of my birds to use a trap . It seems as natural to them as eating and drinking . As was mentioned , they go through one time , they are "trained" .

Try this ....make sure they are slightly hungry . Put the feed inside the loft where they'll see it and close the bobs with birds obviously on the outside and leave them alone .... they'll poke at the bobs a bit to see how they work and ZOOM ..... in they go . When I got my birds I thought bob training was a big deal too , but its the easiest thing to do with pigeons . Its funny to watch them the first time or two figuring it out :D

Another thing you'll find as time goes on , you'll leave the bobs up most of the time and not even use them . What for ? I just leave 'em come and go and lock them in during the night to keep them safe. Remember though , I dont race my birds ... so bob traps may be more useful if you are a racer . Maybe you just want to get them used to traps in case you do . That I dont know .

I wouldnt lock them out for an hour . Unless you have a reason for doing so that I dont understand , it kind of makes them vulnerable to a predator if they cant escape to their loft .

Nice looking loft , good job !

hambone

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
adamant,
locking them up there is to make them familiar with their surroundings. But since you have aviary, it is probably not necessary unless they are not using the aviary, then you definitely have to lock them up to see the outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.