Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to share:

This morning I was cleaning my homers' loft. I give it a cleaning at least once a week and a really good cleaning every other month. Well today was the "really good" cleaning day - take everything out of the loft...when I found an egg that was abandonded and push between a wall and box (used for nesting).

I was using the scraper when I found the egg. I barely touched the egg (to roll it to the pile of scrapings) when it exploded. It made a popping sound, like a pop gun. It scared me and I screamed. I won't tell you what I saw inside, but it didn't smell good.

We have had some hot days in Northern California, so that egg was getting ripe.

Anyone else have an egg explode?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Ha, I've had chicken eggs to that. When they get to the point where they're all rotten inside, the gases can make them explode with just the slightest touch. Smelly, huh?? :D Nice to see someone else in Northern California. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, I have had lots of eggs explode unfortunately. Chicken eggs hurt if they hit you in the eye and the smell is hard to wash off.
last Summer, I had a man of low character contact me to hatch some Buckeye chicken eggs for him.
He had had the eggs shipped to him.
About 40 of the eggs exploded inside and outside of my incubator.
I found out afterwards that he had had the same problem the last time he got eggs shipped to him from that individual and decided to avoid the problem by having me hatch the eggs for him instead.
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.