Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I really hope that you can find a good vet for Coco! I also hope he will recover soon 😊.

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would be careful using thyme oil. There have been a few reports of toxicosis in pigeons using too much. Also, essential oils may put added stress on the liver and kidneys in a recovering state. It is best used as a preventative with caution.
Hi Jon, thanks for the info about thyme oil.
I have never heard about that so I would be really grateful if you could give me more details and even your opinion about the supplement.

I know that here in France thyme (in different form: essential oil, infusion/tea, twigs) is often used by pigeons breeders, they say that it works like a natural antiseptic. I read that it is good for respiratory tract, that it provides a protection from parasitic infestation of coccidies and so on.

I know that there are different supplements containing it (even as essential oil).
Just for example, even Laboratoires Moureau (they are specialized in pigeons medications and supplements) use thyme oil (and other oils).

About oxycox - my vet only told me to not give it to my pigeon Londo when I was treating her for her cloacal prolapse.
We had excellent results with my brother's PMV pigeon (we gave him both oxycox and the French probiotics) and I have never seen side effects on my birds.

The supplement contains 12 500 mg of thyme for each liter (see the pic):

It is a monthly treatment, the dosage suggested is:

3 ml of oxycox to 5 liters of water for 7 consecutive days.

Do you think is it too much thyme oil ? It could be a dangerous supplement? I don't want to use and to suggest unsafe products... If it is not good I would never buy it again..

Yes, I know that some essential oils could be very toxic to birds and to pets (like tea tree oil).

As we are talking about oils I have another question. I know that here people use essential oils against external parasites. For example someone use to add lavender essential oil in bath water (I don't remember how many drops, I should check), of course they say to be very careful to head/face.
I also heard about a mixture of eucalyptus globulus oil and common table oil: it is used to treat depluming mites.
Do you think that these are safe methods? Could they damage the feathers? Could they be harmful?

Sorry for the several questions but I see that you have a great knowledge of pigeons!
Thanks in advance for your help 😊!

Attachments

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
311 Posts
Hi,

You're welcome. I would be glad to offer my concern.

All commercial formulations and products containing essential oils or raw herbs like oxycox are at safe levels and are designed specifically for safe use with birds.

Toxicity occurs most often when pure essential oils are administered or used directly. Thymol, eugenol, carvacrol, menthol, and other monoterpenes can induce negative side effects including liver shock (hepatoxicity) at only a few drops of pure 100% oil given orally to small birds, especially in the presence with other toxins. Some essential oils are manufactured or sold in ethanol, and this is definately toxic for birds. Some commercial oils are extracted using hexane or heptane, and will always contain a trace amount of highly toxic solvents even after purification.

Animal studies involving mice and dogs show larger doses of pure thymol can be safe and ranged in the low gram range per kg body weight. But according to Reynolds (1993), thymol is an irritant to the gastric mucosa (the lining of the GI tract). Low doses (e.g. 1% thymol) are antitoxic and hepaprotective, but high doses can be acutely toxic (cytotoxic, genotoxic, hepatoxic) and toxicity is highly dependent on dose, frequency, and concentration.

Birds are generally more sensitive as their livers have limited detoxifying abilities compared to mammals. My biggest concern would be using pure concentrated commericial essential oils and not knowing if they contain any solvents (or even trace solvents), and also not having the means to adequately dilute or dose in safe minute ranges.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, I agree completely, tea tree oil is very toxic for birds. Lavendar would be safe when diluted and/or mixed with a safe carrier oil. Protecting the head during application generally protects damage to vision as oils will irritate and cloud the sclera and cornea. And also prevents accidental exposure to the ears or the sensitive skin around the face area and nares. The only issue would be the to plumage sheen and appearance, the loss of the ability to stay insulated and warm, and the loss of the water protecting wax on the feathers. But there should not be any permanent or long term damage to the feathers themselves. It is just the oil residue that may take time to wash away.

This being said, essential oils, when used in a safe and correct manner, are generally much safer than synthetic pharmaceutical compounds, and are easier on the liver and kidneys compared to medicinal drugs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You"re welcome! :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts