Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Blue- 4 (ish) year old rescue pigeon with a broken wing
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blues' eye is looking a bit worse, he was put on eye drops again by the vet as he still wasn't opening it much after the injury, and I am worried that he may have caught an infection from me putting the drops in his eye.
Bird Beak Feather Terrestrial animal Wing

There is a white streak, on the bottom corner, that has been getting bigger for the past couple of days. I have sent photos to the vet and he advised that I give Blue a round of enrocare (which is the same as baytril apparently) so I have given him one dose this evening.

Does this look like the start of an infection? There is a visible cut on the eyeball, is there anything I can do to help this?

Also with the enrocare it says to dilute it to 4 plus parts water, he is on 0.1ml so I have been mixing this with 1ml of water and slowly dripping it on to his beak as it's the only way I can be sure he is getting it! Does this sound ok?

I'm so worried I literally can't sleep I just keep watching him to make sure nothing awful happens. He is eating well and he's actually put on a bit of weight recently.

Please help!

@Colombina do you maybe have any advise again??

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Hi ! Sorry for the late reply!

Years ago my vet prescribed us Vitamin B12 CHAUVIN 0,2 mg/0,4 ml eye drops. I used it for helping eye healing.

You said that Blue has a cut on the eyeball. As you can see in the link this "healing eye drops contains vitamin B12. It is used in the adjunct treatment of corneal scarring disorders".

You could ask to your vet if this product could help Blue. Also remember to ask him if it could interact with the eye drops that you are currently using (in all cases they say "This eye drops can interact with other eye drops: respect an interval of 15 minutes between two instillations").

In these days we are treating the eyes of a pigeon. Of course, she hates the treatment and gets agitated. This is how we treat her. We are used to put her in the bathroom sink. A person gently keeps her with both hands and the other person cleans the eyes and applies the cream. You said that maybe you injured his eyes putting the drops. Try to do as I explained (applying the drops with the help of someone else could reduce the risk of "incidents").

I looked online for Enrocare 25mg/ml Concentrate for Oral Solution (btw in these days I'm giving to my pigeon Aurora Baytril 2,5 oral solution but my vet never tells me to dilute it...I hope he gave me correct instructions...).

In the link they say:
"In the case of smaller animals (weighing less than 500 g), it may be appropriate to dilute 0.1 ml of the neat product with >4 parts water and administer a proportion of the total volume".
Yes, give it really slowly and carefully. We are used to put the syringe on the side of the mouth, this way it is easier to avoid the risk of aspiration.

Keep us updated.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ! Sorry for the late reply!

Years ago my vet prescribed us Vitamin B12 CHAUVIN 0,2 mg/0,4 ml eye drops. I used it for helping eye healing.

You said that Blue has a cut on the eyeball. As you can see in the link this "healing eye drops contains vitamin B12. It is used in the adjunct treatment of corneal scarring disorders".

You could ask to your vet if this product could help Blue. Also remember to ask him if it could interact with the eye drops that you are currently using (in all cases they say "This eye drops can interact with other eye drops: respect an interval of 15 minutes between two instillations").

In these days we are treating the eyes of a pigeon. Of course, she hates the treatment and gets agitated. This is how we treat her. We are used to put her in the bathroom sink. A person gently keeps her with both hands and the other person cleans the eyes and applies the cream. You said that maybe you injured his eyes putting the drops. Try to do as I explained (applying the drops with the help of someone else could reduce the risk of "incidents").

I looked online for Enrocare 25mg/ml Concentrate for Oral Solution (btw in these days I'm giving to my pigeon Aurora Baytril 2,5 oral solution but my vet never tells me to dilute it...I hope he gave me correct instructions...).

In the link they say:
"In the case of smaller animals (weighing less than 500 g), it may be appropriate to dilute 0.1 ml of the neat product with >4 parts water and administer a proportion of the total volume".
Yes, give it really slowly and carefully. We are used to put the syringe on the side of the mouth, this way it is easier to avoid the risk of aspiration.

Keep us updated.
Thank you! I will send my vet an email and ask about the eye drops. The one I have is called isathal, although I haven't given him it for a few days as I'm worried about making any infection worse, do you think I should start it again? I definitely think the ones that help with healing/scarring would be best for him. I'll get my daughter to give me a hand and take some extra time putting them in, not gonna lie I'm very nervous about applying them again!

The enrocare is the only meds I've ever had to dilute, I'm glad I checked the instructions cos I would have just given it to him as normal which I think can be dangerous with this one.

The eye doesn't seem any worse today, I'll keep you posted!

· Registered
1,858 Posts
No need to thank me!

I think that the best thing is asking to the vet about both eye drops: ask him if you should apply both of them (remember to ask about possible interaction) or just one of them.

I'm sure that it will be easier to apply drops with the help of your daughter!

Please let me know what the vet says and keep us updated about Blue!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! How is Blue's eye doing? What did the vet suggest?
Hi, sorry I have just seen your message! Blue had a round of antibiotics which didn't actually seem to have an effect on the eye, the white patch has actually spread quite a bit. I'm hoping now that it is the eye healing, it doesn't look watery of swollen at all and he doesn't seem irritated by it. I've stopped the eye drops for now as the cut on the eye is quite visible and I don't want to get any in it, is that the right thing to do? I'm really want it to just heal for him! He's been a bit grumpy and tired recently which could be the weather or possibly nesting? Also I have noticed Blue has been perching on both feet or lying down way more often, he usually rests on one leg. Blue is actually biologically female (we didn't realise until he laid an egg about 2 years after we got him and can't get out of the habit of refering to him as male!) do you think this could be an egg thing again? Sorry for all the questions, paranoid pigeon parent here 😅

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Hi! No need to apologize... I'm very late in my reply too! So please forgive me too 🙏

How is the eye doing? If it seems finally healing (as we all hope!) it's ok that you stopped the eye drops (btw, what eye drops did you use last time? The ones containing vit. B12 or the isathal? The info could be useful for other members!).

What about her behavior? Is she still acting in an unusual way? Did she lay her eggs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts