Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, there is a young 3 month old female feral pigeon living outside my window who was born here and decided to stay. She typically leaves for a few hrs in the morning but is here about 70% of the day and always at night. She also has a boyfriend who moved in a few weeks ago. 2 days ago she didn't return for an entire day and night. Yesterday she finally returned with a big swollen eye. It looks more like it was scratched vs an illness. She has been low energy since returning but will fly up to sit on top of the AC unit, and back down to the planter to eat and drink and sit in the sun. Her boyfriend is attentive but seems to know there is a problem. I'm hoping it will heal with some food and sun, but then it might not. I have attached 2 pictures. Can anyone please give me any input as to if they can live without the use of an eye? Could it possibly heal? She won't let me pick her up and I am leaving on Wednesday for 4 days. Thank you in advance for any feedback, and I live in Sevilla, Spain..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
One of your babies! Can you try and catch her? Sneak up on her and throw a lightweight cloth over her, easier at night. Looks like an injury, but she might need antibiotics. Do you know of an avian vet you can take her too?

They can live with only one eye, but will be very vulnerable out there as it will be much easier to be caught by a predator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is one of my babies and I am sick to my stomach over it. Everything was progressing so well for her. I am worried I won't be able to catch her as the planter is 14 stories up with no barrier, very dangerous. Will her boyfriend most likely leave her and go find another mate? There is a family of falcons nearby as well, though they don't seem to be much larger than she is. I have to leave tomorrow until Sunday, and am worried if I can't catch her to bring her to a vet, all I can do is put down a lot of seed and try to hide it somehow, but that could call to attention other birds and danger for her. Any suggestions on feeding in these circumstances?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Is there no way you can lure her into your apartment with food? I remember you said that she is quite tame. If you can't catch her, the only thing you can do is to put down enough food for her. Hopefully her mate will chase off other pigeons. I hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was about a 2 week period she was very affectionate with me, but once I stopped shooing the male who was trying to court her and they became 'close', she stopped being affectionate with me, which is good. He took her away during the days and they ate elsewhere, which was good. He is now trying to build a nest here, it is so sweet to see how the males are. Pigeons are amazing.
I have talking with 2 vets and 2 local rescue workers but it seems few people want to spend any energy on her. If I can't lure her inside I will hide a lot of food and water for her and pray for the best. Thank you for responding as always Marina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts