Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am caring for a baby pigeon of about 2 weeks old. I have had him for 8 days now and he has been doing really well on hourly feeds of mashed up chicken growers pellets. He is quite difficult to feed in that he doesn't gape easily and it takes ages and gentle pressure to get his beak open to pop the food in but we get quite a lot in during the course of the day and he is putting on weight and feathering up well. However, I think in my handling of his head I have damaged his right eye. The eyeball is completely blood red and I don,t think he can see out of it now. I am hoping that it is a burst blood vessel that will heal but does anyone have any advice/info that might help I feel awful that I've hurt him in my efforts to help!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Make a compress of chamomile tea. Eyes are delicate and there is nothing much you can do except to reduce inflammation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would a couple drops of Colloidal Silver in the eye help?

It really seemed to work when one of my pigeons had a bad eye injury a few months ago.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Collodial Silver would be a great benefit- indeed.... Can you upload a picture for us??

·
Registered
813 Posts
Arnica Montana, which is found at Heatlh Food Stores, would be great as well. You would dissolve a pellet in a little water and use a dropper to drop it in the pijies mouth after it dissolved. I am sure it's a bit bruised. Arnica would help with the pain and the bruising.

Also you could try to place a hand towel on the birds back and very lightly hold him against your tummy on your lap... that way the towl is closed around his wings when you feed ... leaving your 2 hands free... It might be a good idea to get Kaytee Exact to start him on as well. When Our lil' one came to us so young, we used Kaytee mixed with a tad of human, whole grain Baby cereal mixed to the consistancy of lotion...

Are you in the States?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much to everyone who gave advice regarding our baby's eye injury, it's lovely so many people care about these little birds. Very sadly when I came down this morning little 'Woody' had died to the huge distress of all of us. He had been doing so well (apart from the eye) and I really thought he would make it. I have learnt so much since finding this site and will be better prepared next time. England has had another cool, wet, windy summer so I fear lots of little casualties. Huge thanks again to everyone who responded to my request for help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aw, I am really sorry to hear that, celenew.
Poor little guy! I'm glad you were able to offer him some comfort and a safe haven, even if it was for a short while.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im so sorry to wake up to this news..:(.. Im sorry. I am glad he passed in the presence of people who had his best intrest at heart!... Bless you for that!;)

We have many members here from the UK... I am sure; now that you have rescued one... many more will follow..;).. and I will look forward to seeing you around PT!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry that Woodie died. They are such dear little birds and so many babies "fall" from the trees . I am certain that there will be another that needs you, maybe not this year but certainly next year. Many are handed in to veterinary surgeries, my vet passes them on to me but a lot must give them to the RSPCA or euthanase, which amounts to the same thing. If you let your vet know that you are willing to help hand raise them you might be able to save a few lives.

I have noticed that when I am hand-feeding young woodies by opening their beaks and putting the food in the mouth the eye tends to get touched too much for my liking, it isn't the same when I feed ferals.

I toook two baby woodies to OwlMomma's wild bird haven, and she taught me an easier way of feeding them. This involved letting them poke their beaks through the fingers of one hand, which makes them gape, and then using a syringe to put the food in their mouths. It is cleaner than the syringe and balloon method that I have been using. Using that method would enable you to feed more at a time so the feeds would be less frequent

Chick crumbs might be better than hen pellets, you soak them for half an hour in hot (not not boiling) water to let them hydrate thoroughly without destroying the enzymes, then liquidise and sieve three times, serve warm (at 39 degrees). The resulting liquid is served very thin to start with and can be gradually thickened as the baby grows older .

Thank you for caring for the baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts