Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have came across a Pigeon in my home who has a problem Opening up it eyes.My pet dog found it. I have kept many birds like Falcons and Peacocks and Hens but never kept pigeons. I am a software developer by profession and like to have pets. The Pigeons was in such a condition that it prompted me to search a solution for his eyes over the Internet and thats how i ended up registering on this forum. Please some one can help by prescribing some solutions regarding the Pigeon's eyes it will be greatly appreciated. his eyes are completely closed,Swollen Red and could not open.
Immediate help needed. I cant just watch this pigeon die. :confused:

Here are some its Pics

Regards javatiger from Pakistan

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks for trying to help this poor bird.

Javatiger, you may want to delete the photos you posted and re-size them down, as they are so large they make it difficult to easily view, you can do this with Microsoft paint, its a free ap that come with Windows. It's pretty easy, open the photo in Paint, go to Image>Resize>make Horizontal + Vertical 25% and save, they will then be 1/4 of the size they are now.

This is a young bird about 3-4 weeks old, is the bird eating and drinking on its own?... if not you will have to hand feed the bird. you can fee it small seeds, lentils, split yellow peas and very small pieces of bread, feed until its crop id 1/2 full, wait to empty and feed again, you will need to make sure it is drinking you can you this by guiding its beak into a small cup very slightly warmed water and letting it drink on its own. If it does not drink, you will have to give water slowly to the side of its beak, and keep try with the cup until it will drink on its own.

Here is how to hand feed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

Do you have antibiotics around for your other birds, if so what kind do you have and what strength are they, if not could you go and buy some Ciprofloxacin or Doxycycline?

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for trying to help this poor bird.

Javatiger, you may want to delete the photos you posted and re-size them down, as they are so large they make it difficult to easily view, you can do this with Microsoft paint, its a free ap that come with Windows. It's pretty easy, open the photo in Paint, go to Image>Resize>make Horizontal + Vertical 25% and save, they will then be 1/4 of the size they are now.

This is a young bird about 3-4 weeks old, is the bird eating and drinking on its own?... if not you will have to hand feed the bird. you can fee it small seeds, lentils, split yellow peas and very small pieces of bread, feed until its crop id 1/2 full, wait to empty and feed again, you will need to make sure it is drinking you can you this by guiding its beak into a small cup very slightly warmed water and letting it drink on its own. If it does not drink, you will have to give water slowly to the side of its beak, and keep try with the cup until it will drink on its own.

Here is how to hand feed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

Do you have antibiotics around for your other birds, if so what kind do you have and what strength are they, if not could you go and buy some Ciprofloxacin or Doxycycline?

Good luck with him,

Karyn
Thank you. I am now feeding him crushed Rice and Ciprofloxacin and Doxycycline, Initially Water is coming out of its eyes. But today one of its eyes droped the Covering lid. And the Bird can see from that eye. However the Cover on the other eye havent yet came off. I think it will take time. Again many thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks for letting us know this bird is making some progress. Best to double check the amount of meds you are giving, so how much Cipro and how much Doxy and you giving, what strength and how often?

Karyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts