Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one of my Female flyer pigeons with a left eye swollen & red. Its about 2 times bigger than the normal size & the eye is oval shaped & does not blink much on that side. It's been realy windy and raining hard in past few days and I think she must of hit something inside the coope or may be a spider bit or something. The poop color looks normal and she eats a bit but, does not move around much since i separated her from the rest of the birds. I'm going to take some pictures tonight and post them. Any suggestion for medication.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Make a warm compress with chamomile tea and wash eye with the tea too. It may be cold, insect bite, bacterial or respiratory infection. Chamomile will help and bring some relief. Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Whenever people talk about the eyes, it's almost always difficult to tell whether they're talking about the actual orbs or the "periorbital" tissues. In most animals, if the actual orbs swell visibly, the vision will be lost even if it recedes and looks fine later. If it's just the tissue around the orb, then that's not necessarily the case. Anyhow, yes, a picture would help a lot.

Pidgey

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Get some Sovereign Silver colloidal silver and put a drop in the eye and one drop down the throat. Put another drop in the eye later in the day-works well for infections and injury. You can get these things from health food stores. If this is due to injury you can add the arnica montana to treatment. One fourth human serving.

My husband accidentally knocked my poor little helmet, Herman in the eye when he accidentally dropped a broom on him-yesterday, didn't see him. He started to close the one eye and it was turning red, swollen and oval shaped. I followed the above and his eye came back to normal size within a few hours.

If this is a one eye cold you do need to check for drafts of wind coming on your birds, which is dangerous. Also, keep the quality of air clean if it is dusty, so clean coop and provide good ventilation. If it due to the bird being pecked find the culprit. Isolate the bird until the eye is healed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts