Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my female laid an egg today..and now all she seems to do is sit on the perch and she cant seem to keep her eyes open for very long. i have oyster shells for their calcium but she doesnt seem interested in it. im not sure if she is just tired from laying or if she is sick.

also- i got medicine for my male because i think he might be sick because he was loosing his voice. other members suggested a respiratory infection. the meds i got are a antobiotic solution but i dont know how much im supposed to give him.
this is the directions: administer full strength solution as the sole source of drinking water. use fresh solution daily for 5 consecutive days.
i dont understand what is saying. the bottle is only 4Fl. oz so it wouldnt last 5 days as a sole source which is why i am getting confused.
it also says the active ingredient is sulfadimethoxine 15mg. per fluid ounce.
any idea what this means??
thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If your hen just laid an egg and she feeling ill, it's probably because she isn't getting enough calcium. Do you give your birds calcium on a regular basis?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the oyster shells for the calcium in where they can get it at any time but like i said she doesnt seem interested in it meaning they arent eating it.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can get liquid calcium to put in the water. Another product is called...Petamine. You can buy it at many pet stores or on line. There are 2 kinds...I get the breeding formula. It has lots of calcium in it and my birds just love it. It comes in many different sizes and I order it 20lb at a time.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
also- i got medicine for my male because i think he might be sick because he was loosing his voice. other members suggested a respiratory infection. the meds i got are a antobiotic solution but i dont know how much im supposed to give him.
this is the directions: administer full strength solution as the sole source of drinking water. use fresh solution daily for 5 consecutive days.
i dont understand what is saying. the bottle is only 4Fl. oz so it wouldnt last 5 days as a sole source which is why i am getting confused.
it also says the active ingredient is sulfadimethoxine 15mg. per fluid ounce.
any idea what this means??
thanks in advance
That sounds like Marvel Aid (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6089). It IS effective for some things but it's always best to know for sure what is wrong and treat with the proper meds for that condition. The 15 mg per fluid ounce just means that there is 15 mg of the actual medicine in each fluid ounce of the solution. The idea with Marvel Aid is that the bird will drink enough of the solution to cure the problem .. that's always iffy in meds administered in the drinking water. It's much better to give the right med for the problem in the right dose orally by syringe.

Terry

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she seems to be doing better. she doesnt look as sleepy anymore. she still wont eat the shell though.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
administer full strength solution as the sole source of drinking water. use fresh solution daily for 5 consecutive days.
Yes, it does sound like Marvel Aid. I believe Marvel Aid is mostly used on smaller caged birds, such as Cockatiels, Canaries, Budgies and Finches. They do not consume alot of water a day, so the 4oz. should be enough to treat for 5 days.
I don't think a lot of people with larger birds use Marvel Aid much, partly for this reason, although I do believe that it does come in a larger bottle, 16 oz., as TAWhatley's link shows.

Good luck with her,

Karyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts