Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I have 1 small loft 4x4x4 with now 10 king pigeons in it. Babies coming quickly now. Loft has 4 cubbies roughly 12x12x12 and several perching areas. Males have all developed what looks to be pecked areas under the eyes. Females are fine. There is near constant territorial disputing over resources. Is this a symptom of simple overcrowding? Or something else?
View media item 33655

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a lot of Big birds in a pretty small loft. That's gonna be the fighting problem and likely soon to be a disease concern, and if babies are coming fights over being too close to babies is also a possibility. Strictly my opinion, but i would have 4, maybe 6 big birds like show kings at the very most in that small loft. You may want to consider downsizing bird numbers or upsizing loft. Another concern is having too many birds too close and stressed is going to cause you to have illnesses or diseases crop up too. Maybe an outside run could help them spread out too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
definitely seems like it's over-crowded. This was a huge problem with my birds last year. MANY of my babies died because of this. Only 2 out of 15 lived, and I had to hand raise them. I definitely recommend either getting rid of most of your birds, or upgrading your loft, just like hdslilhideout suggested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts