Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some dummy eggs all they had in stock where plastic pull apart eggs anyway when placing them in the nest do I leave them empty or do I need to put something in them to give them some weight or place them in the nest how they are, I noticed they are way lighter then real eggs?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
you can put something in them or not, it doesn't really matter. I have used the colored plastic easter eggs before and they will sit for about 20 days before giving up on them.
My favorit are small wood eggs I got at a hobby store and they are not painted eather.
A friend of mine used real bantam eggs once and the pigeons hatch the chicken for him

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I use the wooden ones from pigeon supply. They are like the weight of a pigeon egg, and painted white.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
the paint is for the fancier not the pigeon, any egg will work, plastic or wood, as long as it doesn't rub on the adult birds skin to much.

Well if it looks the same as the ones you have taken away, I would think that they would except it more. Sounds like you are assuming that they aren't smart enough to know the difference. I have a pair that will abandon the eggs as soon as you exchange them because she knows the difference. My birds must be way smarter than yours.:p

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, the hollow ones are designed to be filled with sand to simulate the weight of a real egg when the parents turn them. Kind of a pain as you have to fill both halves with sand and then try to snap them together. I like the solid plastic eggs which I think most closely mimic real eggs. I get them from High Point Pigeon supply.

http://highpointpigeonsupplies.net/-strse-Nest-Bowls-cln-Eggs/Categories.bok

Jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
Another trick I have found to get them to accept the dummy eggs is to warm them before you switch them out. I just hold them in my hands for about 15 minutes. Hollow ones filled with sand take a lot longer to warm up. I haven't tried warming wooden ones. Seems like they wouldn't hold heat very well.

Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think that the solid eggs work much better , but there will always be those birds that don't take to the switching of their eggs.. they do have an uncanny ability at memorizing their home so its not rocket science for them to not recognize and egg that wasnt laid by them if you ask me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think that the solid eggs work much better , but there will always be those birds that don't take to the switching of their eggs.. they do have an uncanny ability at memorizing their home so its not rocket science for them to not recognize and egg that wasnt laid by them if you ask me :rolleyes:

I agree. They're smarter than some give them credit for.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made the first switch they have been sitting on them so far so good didn't have no sand so I used some dirt they held together should I still tape them or will they be fine?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Could you just put a bit of glue or clear caulking on the edges when you put them together?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't think they will after it dries. Even elmers glue doesn't smell much. And I use a caulk for the loft that is supposed to have no smell. I know I can't smell it either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts