Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been along time.
Found a fallen pigeon. Was going to leave it alone but then I saw head trauma.
I realize it’s probably going to die so im trying to make it comfortable.
Was going to clean the wound but most of it is dried.
immediately i put it on a towel that has a heat pad under. Heat pad is on low. Still waiting for bird to heat up before I offer it water.
Wings appear okay.
Legs really concern me they seem to go up alot farther than I thought but maybe I just havent seen a squab in awhile.

update: seems to be warming up,is getting a little more active. Tried to get up but fell. Is looking around

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Seems to have spasms every once in awhile and breathing is getting heavy. Less hopeful. Still alert in between spasms though.

Also reading that I probably should not have given a pigeon with head trauma heat. If someone could elaborate I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry but I only have a few minutes, here you can read some helpful info about head trauma (post n. 6).

Yes, you don't have to keep a bird suffering from a head trauma on a heat pad because warmth could make the situation worse.
As first thing put him in a quiet and cool room, in a soft light and see how he is doing.
He needs a calm and peaceful environment.
Seizures could be a symptom of concussion.
A heavy breath is not a good sign but, as I said, as first thing move him into a more appropriate place and let's see how he is doing.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thank you for the help.

The bird is in a dim and quiet room now. The spasms have seemed to lessen immensely. I have turned off the heat pad.
I will offer the hydration solution pinned here in a little while as I am concerned with dehydration because the wound was dry by the time I found him.

Assuming the bird continues to live, i am concerned with infection. Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Bird was mostly sleeping. Out of nowhere it woke up. I think it started as a seizure. After the seizure the bird looked around, chirped, and drunk some water that was near. Then it went back to sleeping. After seeing that it went to the water and back I decided to check its temperature and further inspect it. The bottom of the bird is very swollen. I do think there are alot more internal issues than I anticipated. Its temperature dropped since I stopped the heat pad. Still just trying to make it comfortable before its inevitable death, but was surprised it had a moment of clarity where it drunk some water.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He is doing okay from what I can tell. I turned the heat pad back on a hour ago because it was starting to get cold in the house. He shifted himself in the box, but is still resting. He tried to drink water but I am questioning wether he can or not.

He is producing droppings. I have changed his towel twice since this morning. He also spit up up a couple seeds. I hope he will live through the night.
I would take a picture but he seems to be sensitive to light so I am trying to keep him comfortable because I am unsure wether he will die or not.

How old would you say he is?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
He looks about a week old. Are the droppings normal? Should be brown and firm with a white dot (depending on the food he got fed).

The feet looks normal to me. I'm sure if he was internally injured, then he would have died already. Put two fingers on either side of his beak (so that his beak is in the middle). If he nuzzles your fingers, then he must be hungry and needs to be fed. Do you have a handraising formula for baby parrots? Kaytee Exact.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brown Beige Tints and shades Soil Stain
Hair Vertebrate Comfort Textile Mammal
Bird Beak Galliformes Phasianidae Terrestrial animal

From your description the poop does not seem to be normal.
He did indeed nuzzle my fingers when I his beak between them. I Dont think I noticed a difference in crop but there are pictures for you to compare yourself.

my camera brightened everything, it is much darker in the room than shown. After handling him he started moving ands stretching his head while chirping. Can he chirp while still having a seizure? I really hope I didn't cause a seizure when handling him.

Should I buy some parrot food and attempt to feed him? I have seen him try to drink but I dont think he is able to by himself without causing a seizure/spazzing. I am unaware how he was able to do it earlier. Is there a way to administer water/hydration solution? Should I administer water/hydration solution?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Get some parrot food and also a jar of human baby applesauce. If the crop is not empty (doesn't look empty) only feed him warmed up diluted applesauce. This will help to get the crop working again. Are you familiar with feeding small babies?

Will it be possible to open his beak and check inside for unusual yellow or whitish growths? You will need a flashlight to check deep inside the back of the throat.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Do you have a small medicine dropper? If so, you can hydrate him by holding the dropper next to his beak (so that the droplet touches the beak). Just keep away from nostrils. Just give ordinary water, no sugar or salt added.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

How is he doing?

He is passing through a critical phase, now we have to keep him alive until he has overcome it.
Seizures and colvulsions can happen in birds with head trauma, I know that they are very scary (last May my pigeon Marshall had horrible seizures for a whole week because he had PMV symptoms back) but be strong.

You have to try to reduce as much as possible stress, to avoid any fright or excitement and all other situations which could increase blood pressure and so brain swelling.
Have you read the links I posted yesterday?
If not, I'm going to copy some important passages, they explain the point clearly (they contain very helpful info, give them a read):

"Since the brain lies inside the bony skull, any bleeding or swelling that occurs will put downward pressure on the brain. This downward pressure from the bleeding or swelling on the brain squeezes or compresses the brain impairing its normal functioning ability.
(...)
Injuries that result in minimal clinical signs can become much more severe if the pet is allowed to become excited because of an increase in blood pressure that increases brain swelling".

"It's also possible that they convulse, show sudden palsies or twitches".

"Birds who are concussed are extremely photo-sensitive, they need much sleep".

"Heath intensifies the blood circulation and this will increase the pressure inside the brain. This will cause more pain and sickness to the bird or even kill him in the worst case.
The temperature should be around 21 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Fahrenheit)".

So, continue to keep him in a calm and quiet room (avoid any noise, music, tv, etc), in the dim light and in the right temperature.

Try to hydrate him as Marina explained (using an eye dropper).
Don't leave a water bowl next to him because birds having seizures are at risk of drowning. As it seems that he understands how to drink on his own, when it will be possible you can try offer him water by putting a small water bowl (like the one in the pic) in front of him (you can even dip his beak - not over the nostrils - in it).

Effectively the crop seems full from the pics. When did you find him exactly? Is he still pooping regularly? Try to give him applesauce as suggested, buy one without added sugar containing only apples. I am used to buy an organic fresh one, here you can see it so you can get an idea:

Warm it for a few seconds before giving it. I have an induction cooker and I am used to warm it for 5 seconds at 9 level. In any case check it with your fingers.
When you will feed him (I really hope that there are no issues with his crop. Be sure that the crop is empty before feeding him) you can add a bit of applesauce to the baby bird formula (one for seed eaters). Remember to use warm water (always check it with your fingers) when you will prepare the formula.

Regarding the injury on his head, I cared about a scalped pigeon, this is what I did: I disinfected the wound and applied an antibiotic cream twice a day for some days (you should decide how many days according to the condition of the wound). Then I stopped the antibiotic cream and applied for some days a healing cream (same thing for days).
Pay attention to any bad smell, if you notice it it means that the injury is becoming infected. In that case an oral antibiotic is absolutely needed.
I gave to my pigeon even metacam but honestly I don't know if it's a good idea in your case.

About internal injuries my vet told me that usually you could rule them out after 48 hours.
When you will feed him pay attention to the color of the mouth mucosa (mucous membranes), if it looks pale it could be a sign of anemia (which could be caused even by an internal bleeding).
In all cases, you could add to his drinking water a vitamin supplement containing iron and even B-complex vitamins, it will help him to replace the lost red cells. You can prepare the formula with the water enriched with vitamins.
Unfortunately in case of internal bleeding there is nothing we can do.

Please keep us updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
He is still alive!
I removed his water bowl yesterday when it was clear he could not use it.
In the night he had no other seizures once I was done handling him. They are indeed triggered by light/noise.
I had the heat pad on at night because it got cold where I live.
Last night i gave him .8ml total of the water/salt/sugar posted on this board. With a eyedropper. Two .4ml a hour apart from one another.
I am sorry I did not read marina's post in time. I have apple cider vinegar with mother. I did not read your post in time to add it. I hope sugar/salt did not cause any harm.

No seizures happened when administering water. He was able to keep it down seemingly fine too.

I found him yesterday. I posted here about a hour or two after I had him.
He was on the second story of my roof, and I know pigeons nest on the third story. I wasnt going to bother until I saw him convulsing and noticed head trauma.

He seems to be pooping regularly. (Every 3 hours I change the pad and there is poop on it)

is there a specific antibiotic or healing cream i need to get? Names would also be appreciated on a liquid antibiotic so I can get it just in case.

Thank you for your help Colombina and Marina!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Bird sleeping

Bird Pollinator Arthropod Insect Plant

Bird looking around while I get a new pad for the box.
Otter Carnivore North american river otter Comfort Mustelidae

Rodent Bird Feather Whiskers Claw

Hand Finger Nail Wrist Feather

I am concerned with the backside of the bird. It seems very inflamed to me. If this is the normal size at this age I would like to know.
Since this image I have wiped the birds bottom.

Only one seizure this morning, and that was when I got the images of the backside. I think it was much too much for the bird. I only took the images because I was concerned.

His crop seems smaller to me but not empty. A second opinion would be appreciated.

I am planning on giving him a little water with acv and apple sauce as suggested.
I will check his beak for growths.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts