Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm very glad to hear that he is still alive!

Water with added sugar and salt is used as a rehydration solution (as well as water with added honey). Unless a yeast infection is going on, it's not harmful. Probably Marina is worried about yeasts because the crop seems slow.
ACV acidifies the contents in crop and discourages the multiplication of some bad bacteria; helps with digestion; etc.

Yes, the crop looks smaller than in the previous pics. How do his poops look like now? A pic could help us to understand if there is still "material" into his poops or if they are starvation poops.

About antibiotic/healing creams I use French products so I can't suggest you one.
Here they explain how to treat a scalped pigeon (as oral antibiotic they mention the combination of amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid. I have never used it for pigeons)

I did not give to my pigeon Drusilla (the scalped one who had PMV) an oral antibiotic because there was no sign of infection and I know that she was pecked by other pigeons (and not attacked by predators). But it's always good to have in hand an antibiotic and other meds. Remember to pay attention to any bad smell.

Did his vent area look dirty when you wiped it? In all honesty I have never noticed how the vent area of a baby looks like. I only have experience with adults pigeons because my pigeon Londo had a cloacal prolapse... I can explain how I kept her vent area cleaned: I cleaned it with a very good disinfectant called dermidine spray (I used a cotton pad). Here is a link, you could look for something similar to it:

I had to apply a cream (in my case, the vet gave me two different creams, an antibiotic one and dermaflon), if you suspect that the area is infected I think that you could apply an antibiotic cream too.

When you will check for growths remember to check even the color of the mouth. Do that very carefully and gently because it will surely be a source of stress (if possible ask for help to someone) and it's important to avoid all stressful situations.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
You can dab a bit of betadine on the wound to keep it moist.

Is he pooping more regular since you cleaned the bottom? If there's too much dried up droppings affecting his pooping, then the bottom will become a bit swollen.

You can start giving him small amounts of applesauce.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Pest Close-up

The one on the bottom is most recent, the one on the top is from a little while ago.

Yes his vent area was dirty and it was restricting his poop. I think he was okay yesterday but all night without me changing his pad caused it. His bottom and his pad is clean now.

I have applied some Neosporin to his head as I do not have betadine. If this was a mistake I would like to know.

I gave him .4ml of water that was mixed with the correct avc ratio and a drop of a bird b12-k2 mix. He was able to swallow it without choking. Regarding applesauce, I am still worried about the crop. Seeing has his poop was constricted I am afraid to give him too much food/water.

I did buy some the organic/no sugar applesauce today so I have it on hand when he gets it worked out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I was unable to determine if there is growth in his throat, I had his mouth open for a little but my thumb was blocking the view and he pulled back. No seizures since this morning, I am trying not to push it. I will check again in awhile

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Offered him apple sauce right now. He ate .2ml just fine. After that he didnt want any more, and I didnt force him to because the last thing I want is for him to choke. .2ml is very little.

He has not pooped in 2 hours. This worries me. His rear is completely clean of any blockage, and I know he was able to because he pooped right after I cleaned him. Maybe he needs more time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He has still not pooped. His vent is clean, i do not know what is wrong. I do not believe he will last the night. We will see.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
You will need to get food into him. Did you manage to get the handrearing formula? Mix to the consistency of tomato ketchup. Formula needs to be warm. To this you can add some applesauce. You will need something where he can stick his beak inside to eat. A cut-off syringe works will. Also continue to keep him warm as he needs heat for the food to digest. No need for extra water. Try to feed him 10 ml for a start.

The droppings don't look too bad. One doesn't know what he got fed by the parents before you found him.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Something like this. There's a x cut into the yellow rubber, that's where he will stick his beak inside to eat.
Food Ingredient Petal Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Get a bag of frozen peas from your supermarket. Defrost in warm water. Remove the skins and blend them very well till a soft consistency. Add some applesauce and feed this to him. The droppings will change when this gets digested. Will be green and mushy, but that is ok.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I have made the pea/apple sauce mixture you described. I put it into a nearly identical fashioned syringe.
I put his beak into the syringe. He did not put his beak in on his own. He ate a very small amount, then pulled his head back. He refused to eat it further.
Since this morning his crop looks much larger. I do not believe he would be able to keep the food down if I forced him to eat more.

I do not believe his crop is empty. But I attached some images for a second opinion.
If his crop is empty than maybe attempting to feed him is causing spasms and he is unable to eat.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, I fear he may have a yeast infection since his crop does not appear to be empty.

The green on his pad is the food mixture, he did not want it.

Insect Pollinator Arthropod Whiskers Fur

Bird Eye Plant Beak Grey

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Is there no way you can check inside his beak? This is very important. Yeast will show as whitish plaques deep inside the throat, canker will show as cheesy yellow growths. Is there any way you can get hold of Nystatin for treating yeast? Also metronidazole for canker, just for in case you need this. In a petshop, that sells fish equipment, one can buy Fishzole (same as metronidazole).

He is definitely sick. By now he should have been so hungry and eager to eat.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
From the pic the poops look dark (I'm watching the pics from my phone so I can't see them very well). If you have at home a bottle of hydrogen peroxide you could try to put a small amount of it on the dark droppings. When hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with catalase it "bubbles", you see a white fizzling foam. Blood contains catalase. When I need to understand if there is some blood I do this "test". Of course, It's not a scientific method but it could help you to get an idea. I'm only worried about a possible presence of blood but maybe it's just the photo.

Last May my pigeon Londo got an infection (the vet ruled out yeasts and canker, it was a viral or a bacterial infection) and her crop literally did not work. I had to massage it several times a day, each time for about 10/15 minutes. I massaged it in a gentle way by circular movements. If the crop is slow, other than giving him some warm applesauce, you could maybe try a massage. From the pic the crop does not look flat but you gave him water and a bit of applesauce.
As he is in a critical condition and we don't know what issues he has (other than head trauma and scalped head) only you can judge if a massage could help or if it could be more harmful than useful. In all cases, if you decide to do that you need to be careful because you do not have to push any liquid up (I mean push a liquid into the throat/mouth) because he could aspirate. Also try to gentle press at the base of the crop (where food goes into the proventriculus).
When the crop will be empty I would start to give him a small amount of liquid formula and see if he is pooping regularly. When Londo had the infection I had to decide day by day the amount of formula, its consistency and if she needed massages. I fed her using a common 5ml syringe.

Have you noticed any bad smell coming from the mouth? Any difficulty in swallowing?

Here you can read some info about yeasts:

If you buy nystatin (nystatin 100.000 Ul/ml) and decide to give it we will explain how to administer it.

I read that you gave him vitamin k: it helps blood clotting (I rescued a pigeon poisoned by an anticoagulant rat poison...) so it could maybe help in case of internal bleeding. I think that 48 hours have now passed since you found him?

All over the years I used many different antibiotic creams but I have never used Betadine cream (only Betadine solution) nor neosporin cream. From what I read they are both antibiotic creams so I think you did not do any mistake.

Please let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
the seizures are really bad today, the moment he hears but a little noise or sees but a little light, it triggers a seizure that lasts around 5 minutes. This is very very abnormal compared to yesterday and the day before.
I have turned off the heat pad since this morning. It is not cold in the house and I dont believe it is helping.

He is not in a never ending seizure, but feeding him seems impossible at this point.

I will try to check his throat again, though I know it will cause a seizure.

I can attempt to massage his crop if when I check his throat it looks fine.

The water I gave him amounted for a little more than 1 ml over the course of three days
The apple sauce I gave him was only .2ml which is a very very small amount.
He did not eat any measurable amount of food mixture last night.

His crop should not be this full. What baffles me is is that he is still pooping, albeit irregularly.
I will check poop for blood with your stated method.

I cannot speak on his ability to swallow. Yesterday morning he could. Today I doubt it. I cant tell whether he really cannot swallow or its just seizures.

In my area antibiotics are restricted without a prescription. I have already checked my local pet stores for fish amoxicillin and they are all out without any close restock date. I will check for Fishzole if its canker, but I do not have access to Nystatin. And no, I cannot order it from any vet in my county because they refuse to treat pigeons and will not prescribe anything for them.

I will check his throat. I will upload his latest droppings because they look like starvation droppings but I am not sure. I will do a blood test on his droppings. I will check for smell. I will buy formula today so that I may have it on hand.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts