Pigeon-Talk banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I tried, I really did. I was unable to get him to open his mouth long enough to see due to seizures.
I did not notice any bad smell from his mouth, his head does smell a little sweet.
I put hydrogen peroxide on some of his droppings and it did indeed fizz.

Here are his droppings before I put hydrogen peroxide on them.
Leg Human body Wood Art Sand

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I'm really surprised he is still alive. I think if he was bleeding on the inside, he would have died already. What happens when he has these seizures? Does he fall to the front and convulse while flapping the wings?

Will you be able to get very small baby peas to handfeed to him? Otherwise when you get the formula, mix with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Then make small balls and feed to him. Just make sure you are putting the balls over his tongue into the back of the throat. He will need to drink water when you are feeding the balls as this makes them very thirsty. This way of handfeeding might be easier than using a syringe.

Just be firm. Put him on your lap against your body. Have a firm grip on his beak when you open it. He won't last much longer if he is not getting fed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
He convulses while stretching his neck in random directions.

I already have peas. I will attempt to feed him then. I will also attempt to check his throat again. I am worried of crop overflow since it does not seem to be emptying, but if it is vital I will try. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I still havent been able to open his beak. I do not quite understand. I have done everything correctly that I have read. his beak will not open fully enough for me to see or feed him.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
He won't survive for much longer if you can't get food into him. Even an adult can't survive for longer than 3 days without food. Try to wedge a fingernail inbetween the upper and lower beak and then grab the lower beak and push it down so that the beak opens.

Problem is, if he has canker growths inside the throat and you feed him solid food this can cause bleeding. Only alternative will be to use a 1 ml syringe and feed him formula. If you can get the syringe past his breathing hole he won't aspirate. Little bits at a time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
He is still alive!
In a hour when the store opens I will get formula.

he has made two droppings since last night which I assume are the peas.

He seems to be a in seizure for 30 minutes now. Not as bad as a seizure but he is crying and slightly convulsing. He was fine all night until now. I am unaware as of the cause. I hope he makes it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I fed him 1 ml by putting the syringe in his mouth like you said. He seemed very active so I was curious. I filled the larger syringe with the cloth on the end with formula. I put his mouth in the cloth.

He ate the whole thing on his own!

He is doing much better than yesterday. I don’t think he was having a seizure this morning I believe he was just hungry as when I finished feeding him his crying became less severe.

all in all I fed him 14ml of formula when I was finished. He still wanted more but I don’t know how much he is supposed to eat. If 14ml is too little please let me know.

I tried to check his throat again. His beak is so tiny, my hands are too large. I can now easily get him to open his beak, but not open enough for me to see anything. If there is a easier way please let me know.

thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm very glad to hear that he ate 14 ml of formula! That's a good thing! For the moment I would wait and see if he is pooping regularly. If everything seems ok with his crop and poops you can start to feed him more.
If he ate without problems in swallowing probably there are no growths. Could you ask for help to somebody? It would be easier to check his mouth/throat in two persons.

I said that I was worried about a bleeding and suggested that test because I was thinking about a bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract not about internal injuries related to the fall (usually, if the bird is still alive after 48 hours, it's possible to rule them out). That could be originated by many different factors like bacterial or viral infection, a bleeding canker abscess in the stomach, cancer, ulcers, etc etc. I remember that I read in old threads even about dried blood in the gi tract related to worms or coccidia.

Try to give a look at this link, maybe you could find an avian vet in your area available to help pigeons:

Also if you are on Facebook you could join that international group, someone could maybe suggest you a clinic or help you in getting meds:

About medications:
Spartrix (carnidazole) is available there? Do you need a prescription for buying it? It's very safe for birds, a tablet won't hurt him even if he does not have canker. Metrodinazole is a strong med which could have side effects, I think that in his delicate condition spartrix would be a better option.
Nystatin is for humans, if you are in good relationships with your family doctor you could maybe try to ask for a prescription to him?

Anyway, I feel more hopeful!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was unaware there were vets near me that treated pigeons. They aren’t close but they are not as far as I thought.

I will attempt to check his throat again with help.
I will check for spartrix. I will also check with my doctor for nystatin.

thank you for your help, I am also feeling very hopeful

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
So glad to hear he is doing better. If he is eager to be fed, he is probably healthy. You will notice a change in the droppings when the formula is getting digested. You can continue to add applesauce to his formula once a day. If he is digesting properly, aim to feed him 3 times a day. 20 ml each meal. His crop should be completely empty in the morning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
He has made more droppings like yesterday. I just finished feeding him 20ml. I imagine the droppings would have changed by now?
He is very eager to eat and when I finished feeding him he nuzzles my hand for more but I am afraid to over feed him.

I can hear him chirping every now and then but I dont quite know what he wants.
He seems to be completely able to eat and look/move around but his muscle spasms are very sparodic and give me mixed impressions. Not seizures but spasms. However from what you linked me earlier this is normal.

I have a friend coming by later on today to help me get a view of his throat.

As for, spartrix, it seems to be perfectly fine to purchase here but no one locally sells it and online seems to have a week of shipping time. My doctor would not prescribe nystatin.

However he seems to be able to swallow perfectly fine. I hope I will not need them. If his situation declines rapidly I will try to take him to a vet but due to distance/financial strain I am trying to avoid this.

Thanks again

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Bird Beak Mammal Galliformes Grey

Grey Feather Natural material Terrestrial animal Fur

Wood Beige Insect Pest Concrete

Just thought id give some pictures because I havent in awhile.

For the first image, I am sorry for the angle it makes his eye look closed but it isnt. Also he got food on his face that I have since cleaned.
The shiny is some Neosporin. Its seems to be healing quite nice underneath.
His poop has changed color, I dont know if you can tell by the lighting but it has become less green..

He did not have a seizure while taking this photos!
He seems to react significantly better to light!

He has only pooped twice since I fed him this afternoon. Because of this I only fed him 12ish ml at dinner. His crop wasnt empty from lunch but I feel I must feed him three times a day.

I was afraid I overfed him. From my understanding if you push on the crop and a pigeon is overfed he will throw some up. I pushed on his crop and he had no reaction. He also did not refuse dinner by any means.

He seems to be doing alot better today, other than waiting awhile to poop!
Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Did you put him back on the heatpad? The droppings are still not what it should be. I think 20 ml 3 times a day will be ok for now, depending on how quickly the crop empties.

It's normal for them to be noisy, that is a good sign. I'm including a photo of what a dropping should be like when getting fed formula.
Water Plant Road surface Organism Sky

41 - 60 of 93 Posts