Pigeon-Talk banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Hopefully they will change with proper feeding. Instead of adding applesauce, you can add a drop of apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother") to his formula. Most important now will be to make sure his food is digesting and the crop should empty completely overnight.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
From what you said (reacting better to light, having appetite, etc.) it seems that little by little he is recovering from the head trauma (recovery can take a few days or even a long period, it depends on the severity of the the trauma). That's good.
Even the wound on his head seems healing well.

Does the formula contain probiotics? If not, you could look for bird probiotics and add them to the formula. I use a very good product but it's French so surely it is not available there. Just to get you an idea here you can see its composition:

Oropharma Versele Laga is a good brand and I think you can find it there. In any case you can ask for an advice at the pet shop (here birds products are available even in some garden centers, agricultural supply stores and do-it-yourself stores).
Stress and many other factors could cause an intestinal flora disorder (surely he is living a very stressful experience!) and so digestive disorders.

If you go to the pet shop give a look at plant based supplements (if they have them), recently I found very good ones. One of them (the one containing artichokes and other plants) made wonders when Londo got the infection.

About the peroxide hydrogen reaction, I was thinking that maybe he simply swallowed a bit of blood after the fall, maybe he hit his beak and a small capillary got broken.

Anyway, you are doing an excellent job! Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
He is still alive and doing well from what I can tell.
His crop emptied and he made more droppings, however they still look like yesterday’s. I fed him 23ml of formula this morning.

I will add avc to formula.
From my understanding the formula had probiotics but I will still check for Oropharma Versele Laga.

wrote this morning, I thought I posted but I guess not. Luckily the text box saved the post.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I fed him around 20ml a moment ago. More of the same kind of droppings but he seems to be digesting just fine.

There is no Oropharma Versele Laga locally where I am.
Also I havent found any supplements for birds.

Checked his throat finally and did not see any growths. I am planning to check again to be sure.
He seems to be doing good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I had to run a errand today. Came home and checked on him. He had managed to jump off the shelf I was keeping him and his box on. He was waddling around my room. I fed him 20ml and tucked him in his box. I have moved his box to the floor so he doesnt make a habit of falling.

I checked his throat again in better lighting, and I can say with a certainty that there is nothing growing in it.

From my understanding his pooping is infrequent. He poops every 2-3 hours. His crop seems to be emptying on time though so I dont quite know whats wrong.

Here is his dropping. Color seems to be the same, but it is much more formed and less runny than droppings of the past.

Thanks again for all your help. I didnt know baby pigeons could be so active!
Water Road surface Insect Asphalt Tar

·
Registered
178 Posts
Update: Seems to have spasms every once in awhile and breathing is getting heavy. Less hopeful. Still alert in between spasms though.

Also reading that I probably should not have given a pigeon with head trauma heat. If someone could elaborate I would appreciate it.
It looks very oozing from head. Looks like you need to get some stitches in that head and clean wound. Wipe wound if you haven't already. Anybody near you-bird rehabbed? I've dealt with serious bird issues this week also. It's awful because I'm telling you, these babes are so sharp and smart.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Dropping looks better than before, although the urates should be white and not yellow. The problem is they can have canker inside the crop and the only way to confirm this will be to have a cropsmear done by an avian vet.

Seems to me he is doing much better. So just continue as you are doing now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
FITANDCHIC The post you are quoting is from four days ago.
The wound was wiped. There is nothing to stitch as the wound has healed since.

There is no one in my area, I already checked on palomacy and another one on facebook. My specific town is not pigeon friendly as the vet refuses to treat them but the town over has a vet that may help.

His situation is stable right now. If his situation declines or poop doesnt clear up I will take him there. As for trauma he is doing quite well and seizures have stopped.

Marina B wouldnt he have trouble swallowing if it was canker?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
If the canker is in the throat, then they have trouble swallowing. Yeast in the throat also cause them to have problems with swallowing. Canker in the crop affects the liver, and one of the symptoms is yellow urates. But I guess there are other issues that can also affect the urates. So one should rather focus on his overall behaviour. If he is keen on getting fed and the food digests well, then no need for concern at this stage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thank you for clarifying.
Though his digestion is getting better I dont think it is quite normal, I will investigate my options further on obtaining spartrix in order to minimize future issues.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
That's great, being so active is a good sign! It seems that he is recovering well from the head trauma!
Also having a good appetite is a good sign, normally a sick bird looks passive and does not have appetite.
Hopefully his poops will improve soon. Probiotics contained in his formula should help him.

What baby bird formula are you using? Here there are many bird formulas which look yellow in color. I attach a pic of Aurora and her brother when were babies: they were perfectly healthy (I adopted them from my vet) but, as you can see on the shelf, the urates looked yellow.
I'm going to copy a passage of an article about droppings interpretation (see the attachment):
"If the feces are colored by the color of
food items, this color can leach out into the urates, and
does not indicate a problem".

Let us know how he is doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have katyee handraising formula.
He is doing good. He seems to be pretty active. I am going to feed him lunch soon.
He ate around 25ml this morning.

Thank you for telling me Colombina.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Insect Leg Wood Pest Concrete

Bird Beak Feather Painting Songbird

His latest dropping.

Pigeonsonbalcony a image of him to stop confusion
It is difficult to tell the wound even happened except for small scabbing and the patch of missing fuzz.
His wound was cleaned when it occured and I believe it has healed.

I do not have ready access to a vet. I am willing to make the trip if his condition worsens, but I have seen nothing but recovery since I got him.

As for the possibility of canker, I have located a shop that has some supplies. They do not have Spartrix but they have Metronidazole 20% and a all-in-one that contains the following
  • Norfloxacin
  • Ronidazole
  • Diclazuril
  • Doxycycline

If one would have less side affects or be more effective than the other, I would like to know. If both are severe and I should not worry about medication, please tell me.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
The all in 1 is no good as this does not contain enough of a specific meds for treatment. Rather get the metronidazole to have ready if you need to give. The droppings look better.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have never used Kaytee exact but I checked for it online and I saw that it looks yellowish so I think that this is the reason for yellow urates. The poop in the pic looks better, there is a bigger amount of brown "material" 😁! Probably the digestive enzymes contained in the formula are helping him!

I read here on PT that all-in-one are not a good option.
Here you can read some info about metrodinazole (how it works, side effects, toxicity, etc):

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
I read about metrodinazole. I bought some and have it on hand in case it becomes vital. Also ordered some spartrix which will be here by tuesday.

Thanks again for the help, I think he will live long.

He seems to be doing quite well. I gave him a bath today because he is very dirty. Low shallow warm water.
Put a very light soap on him and rinsed it off.
He is in a towel and his heat pad is on medium instead of low for a little bit until I am certain he has warmed up. Although I dont think he ever got cold.

Here are his latest droppings. They seem to be getting less yellow.
Organism Grey Metal Fashion accessory Chemical substance

61 - 80 of 93 Posts