Pigeon-Talk banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
He is doing good. Gave him spartrix a couple days ago. I dont think he had canker. He seems to be healthy.
He is growing, I will post a image of him later on today.

The only thing I am concerned about is his inability to walk or really balance himself. When he wants to move he drags himself and kicks with his feet. He doesnt seem to be able to balance. I am unsure if it is neurological damage or fledglings simply are unable to do this.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks for the update.

That could be maybe related to the head trauma. My blind pigeon Geordi had a stupid but dangerous accident (he fell on the floor from my dad's hands....), recovery took a long time... The vet prescribed him some tablets called candilat (papaverine and vincamine), they were very helpful.

A few questions:
  • do the legs and feet look ok?
  • what are you feeding him now?
How old is he now?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Someone said he looked about a week old when I got him. its been 19 days since then, so maybe 3-4 weeks old?

I am still feeding him kaytee extract about three times a day.

I am still keeping him in his little box. If I should put him in a bird cage please let me know. I understand he feels secure and safe in his box and with him not being able to really walk I am unsure wether to put him in a cage or not.

I believe the feet look okay. He isnt able to stand from what I can see. He acts somewhat paralyzed, but he is not. He is still able to move his leg and wring just fine when needed.

Attached is a video of my supporting him. When I stop supporting him he falls.

Bird Orange Beak Tints and shades Feather

Wrap Tartan Orange Dress shirt Sleeve

Outerwear Sleeve Companion dog Felidae Pattern

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Agree, for the moment the best thing is keeping him in his little box.

As I said in a previous post I have never used Kaytee exact but I think that it contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals (calcium, etc) and so on?
Have you started to offer him seeds? When you take him out of his box you can put in front of him a small bowl or a small deep container (like the one in the pic) filled with a large variety of seeds of different sizes and shapes (dove or pigeon mixture and canary seeds with dehydrated fruits) and dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket like small lentils, mung beans and split peas). Put your finger between the seeds and start to tap it between them (try to "imitate" a bird who is pecking at seeds). If there is enough space and you think it's safe you can leave available a seed bowl or container or small plant pot saucer into his box. If he starts to eat seeds on his own you can gradually reduce the formula. Have you found a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins, amino acids and trace elements)?
Let's see if there will be any improvement in his balance issues with a different diet and a good vitamin supplement (in case it's a deficiency... ).

As I said earlier the problem could be simply related to the head trauma. Geordi took a long time to recover (he could not stand, walk, etc) and I had to keep him into a small box with a cushion (not too firm nor too soft). The tablets given by the vet helped him a lot.

The injury on his head healed very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
He does not seem to drink water or eat seeds on his own even if I attempt to guide him. He still eats out of the syringe.
I tried to move him a cage for a day but when it became apparent that all he did was sit in the corner and not eat/drink I moved him back to his box.

His food has label that says not to add probiotics on top of the food because it already contains probiotics. It does contain numerous vitamins so I do not believe it is a deficiency.

He seems to want to lean his neck at a angle constantly. He also acts paralyzed on his lower body. However at times he is able to move his neck and move his legs just fine rarely. I do not quite understand and believe it is neurological.

I will search for candilat.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
He is looking great except for the balancing issues. Is he flapping his wings? I saw on a FB group (will search and find the photo) someone made sort of a wheelchair for a pigeon with leg issues. So the legs hanging down and touching the ground so that he can move around while the body gets supported. This will help strengthen the legs.

Are you giving calcium with added Vit D3?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
In all honesty I think too that the issues are related to the fall and to head trauma because I experienced that with Geordi. Geordi fell like a stone from my dad's hands because he is blind, your little guy because was a very little baby...
I was considering the other options (deficiency, etc) just in case...

Anyway, based on my own experience with Geordi for the moment I would keep him into his box and I would stress him as less as possible. He needs a calm and peaceful environment and rest.

I don't know if candilat (papaverine and vincamine) is available in USA, I got it from my French vet. In case you find it I will give you instructions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
He does flap his wings.

I will attempt to build him a wheelchair sometime this week.

Upon further inspection this morning it seems to be primarily his left leg. It seems to have much less grip strength than his right leg and he does not like it moved. It may have been broken in the fall and healed without having the bones properly set. Or it may be neurological I don't quite know.

candilat is not available here. I do not believe I can even have it shipped.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
As I said I think too that the issues (neurological or/and physical) are somehow related to the fall. This is why I asked even about his legs and feet.
Fortunately Geordi did not break his bones in the fall...

Some months ago we rescued a pigeon attacked by a predator who also had a broken leg. The leg looked like a "rubber dead leg", it was hanging down. Have you noticed something similar in the last weeks? We have experience only with adult pigeons, maybe in babies is more complicated to notice that.
You could try this test but probably you have already tried it:

-take your bird and gently turn him upside down;

- put your finger in the centre of the sole of the foot and exert a light pressure.

This way you can understand his grip strength.
Only a vet could tell if the leg got broken or if the pelvis got fractured/cracked, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I do think its neurological. I tested his grip strength and it is weaker in the left leg but still existent. He does not use it when he doesnt have to but he can.
This morning he pooped green mixed with white. This afternoon I fed him at the usual time and noticed his crop was still pretty full from breakfeast. Unsure what this means but I put him in his box for the time being so he can have heat.
Worked on a wheelchair but havent finished it. I have been letting him roam the room in a attempt to encourage him to walk. He drags himself around but at least he is trying to use his left leg now. Still cant stand on his own.

Neurological issues are really starting to leak in. Constant spazzing of certain limbs or head when stressed (he is fine most of the time). He never stops eating (I dont know if this is normal) I have to gauge his food.
He still cannot drink or eat on his own. I can get him to drink on his own if I dont feed him for awhile and leave him by his bowl but he will only take one sip and then wait. He refuses to eat bird seed ON HIS OWN. If I hold his beak he will eat it. I think at his age he should be eating on his own but I am unsure.
Still feeding him.
Will update when I get the wheelchair finished.
He seems to be getting a little better with his leg but this mornings green poo and him not being able to eat on his own concern me.
Thanks again.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts