Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this beautiful bird, it actually walked out in front of my car in the street and tried to hide underneath then flew on top of it. I tried to coax it out and then it just flew in a tree, on my way home I went back to see if it was still there and sure enough it was. I could tell it was a pet because it had these long feathers on it's feet. Super fancy and not fit for walking around the park! My boyfriend and I rescued this bird just as a falcon swooped down and hit it. No injury just scared that little pidgey into flying for it's life!

Here is a short vine video I made of the bird flying around my room > https://vine.co/v/M2zvQnQ0Qn3

here is a link to a photo album with shots of it's perch, the bird, and the weird wing thing I describe later....which may be helpful in determining whether it's a male or female. http://s23.photobucket.com/user/Little_Fluffer/library/Pipio

QUESTIONS first and a HISTORY after :D

1) Is it alright to keep the bird free range in your bed room or should I get it a small box/cage? Also, my room get's pretty stuffy and I want to keep the window open but I hear drafts are bad for birds and I also have a ceiling fan that I only keep on when I'm in the room. My bird doesn't seem to fly high enough to get to the ceiling fan but it seems a bit dangerous after what I just read today about it...but I need some sort of air in my room. Any solutions?

2) I have grit and pigeon seed, but I have no idea how to house the bird or if it needs any toys or thing aside from that: is it necessary to have an outdoor AND indoor cage set up? I would like my bird to be as happy as possible so whatever is best is no problem. At night it seems to stay settled on my night stand or on a flat piece of spare wood we had around the house that I have weighed down so it's sticking out over my desk...but should I get it some kind of smaller space at night with cover?

3) How to tell male/female? I thought it was a boy at first because of the dirty tail but it also does these weird thing recently where it squats down and shakes it's wings. No cooing, but it makes a weird grunting noise some times. I've been wing slapped before and it doesn't seem like that. When I walk towards it, it just stops moving it. It shakes it's wings it seems out of excitement like it's gearing up to fly around the room some more.

4) I weighed my bird because my boyfriend said it was fat and it's 12 and 1/8th ounce. I am currently feeding it 1 and a half table spoons of high quality of Hagen's pigeon and dove staple VME seeds. Is that too much for this size of bird. From what I can gather the closest looking bird to it is the Saxon Fairy Swallow but I don't see the crest to make it a fairy....any help identifying would also be appreciated!

I have the bird currently in my bed room which has a large mirrored closet, I noticed the bird was obsessed with it's reflection so I have some stuff over the bottom of it so it doesn't keep running around back and forth on it or sitting there and kissing it with it's beak and sitting down close to the reflection. I spend a lot of time with the bird after classes and while I'm away I raise the wooden blinds and it seems to enjoy looking outside (window not open) just blinds up a bit.

HISTORY TIME >>

Long story short, my boyfriend and I caught this cutie pie and I have been taking care of it for a few weeks. I have NEVER owned a pet bird so I have absolutely no experience. This forum has been so helpful.

The status as of now: it (not sure of gender) is flying around my room (carpeted unfortunately) but I put some old kitchen mats underneath a wooden beam I have set up for the birdie and he/she seems to be pooping primarily on the mat or on the desks I have which are an easy clean up.

I got a tiny cage initially because the bird is banded and I tried to find the owner. Since we're going to keep the little birdy I keep it away from dogs at all times and never put it in the tiny cage--it free flies all day/night in my room and the house when possible. I have three massive dogs that I keep out of my room and I have outdoor kennels so I try to let the birdie have some flying time around the house which it seems to enjoy a lot.

It has warmed up to me a bit but in three weeks it hasn't taken a single bath on it's own. I've tried water, splashing it around, a mist, light shower in a bath tub and the sink and various containers (both indoors and out). Not sure how to remedy this one...

I initially thought it would need some outdoors time so I took it outside to the kennels my dogs are in sometimes and it just sat there and walked around. I found little tiny holes in its wings that I thought must have been lice. Got some Sevin powder and borax (I think it's called) and gave the little one a bath. I am hesitant to let it have outdoors time now because I don't want it to get more lice or mites and it isn't liking to take baths.

Seems to be doing better now thanks to the advice for how to treat lice. I am taking it to the vet on Thursday since it looks like I'll be keeping this beauty.

Since the bird is banded I have tried flyers, the NPA and the United Swallow Club but no dice. I live in California by the way in the Bay Area so no major weather issues (i.e. no snow, heavy rains really, or super cold/hot temps).

Please let me know how to best care of my new birdie friend!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird.

Please check the breast/keel bone, if it is sharp the bird may have been starved and is in need of gaining weight. What do poops look like? What do poops look like and how much is the bird pooping per day?

If the bird is not bathing on its own, it is not feeling well. Keep bird in a warm area, away from drafts of air.

Pigeon seed is best diet for this bird as it provides the nutrients required.

You can put a drop of organic apple cider vinegar in the drinking water to provide the correct PH and repopulate good gut bacteria.

It is fine to allow bird flight indoors, but it is not recommended outdoors unless you have it enclosed in aviary or screened porch, as a lone pigeon is predator bait.

An hour of sunshine a day is very beneficial and calcium supplement would be good too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the window being open a tiny crack be alright? I need to air my room out and as of now, I have it only open a crack but my bird seems to like to stand in the wind if it's open wider with the wooden blinds down. I'm not sure how the draft is harmful for a bird but they can be outside just fine...let me know the difference.

He/she poops quiet a bit. I have class from around 8:30 am to 11 am and I come home to find around 7 or 8 poops in that time. Also one large one when I wake up and a few smaller ones. I am taking the bird to the vet today to get it looked over, I will update you on that.

Here's a picture of the poop, it's usually nice and firm shaped a little green/brown and kind of this circular shape. I don't think there's anything super wrong with the bird, I just can't seem to figure out how it likes it's bath. It had a previous owner and is 4 years old at least so I have no idea what it was used to!

I am getting it to eat our of my hand with a bowl, and it's starting to hop around on me and become less fearful but I don't want to rush it as I'm sure it was bonded to it's previous owner.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Would the window being open a tiny crack be alright? I need to air my room out and as of now, I have it only open a crack but my bird seems to like to stand in the wind if it's open wider with the wooden blinds down. I'm not sure how the draft is harmful for a bird but they can be outside just fine...let me know the difference.
Fresh air is very good for the bird, please do open the window slightly. A draft of air is where there is an opening on opposite side of an existing opening. That kind of air flow is harmful, all around open is okay, or from one window.
He/she poops quiet a bit. I have class from around 8:30 am to 11 am and I come home to find around 7 or 8 poops in that time. Also one large one when I wake up and a few smaller ones. I am taking the bird to the vet today to get it looked over, I will update you on that.

Here's a picture of the poop, it's usually nice and firm shaped a little green/brown and kind of this circular shape. I don't think there's anything super wrong with the bird, I just can't seem to figure out how it likes it's bath. It had a previous owner and is 4 years old at least so I have no idea what it was used to!

The poop does not look too bad, just a little watery. A drop of organic ACV in the water and/or some probiotics may just be in order to get good gut bacteria on track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts