Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site which looks like it is very good, well done.
I live in England which sadly has been swamped with the continental birds and the old stuff has all but vanished. Along with the old stuff are all the genes for different coloured birds. Occasionally there are some silvers and yellows but not many. Some sprint chocolates are available. A limited number of opals but not many.

I have seen some pictures of the Trentons, all colours yellow choclates plums and opals. These I was told are still being tested at 1,000miles. Does anyone know of such a lot of coloured birds where they still race them.

Any replies would be much appreciated.;)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi MIKE, I do not know of anyone that breeds color racing homers and races them here in the USA I am sure there must be some. However we do have many breeders that raise color homers. I am have INDIGO's and will be starting a project in December. I plan on mating recessive red to indigo.GEORGE;)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
There are still some trenton breeders That say the have pure trentons BUT any strain that old would be impossible to have maintained The line pure. NOW far as colored racers yellows reds ect Yes there are several people who keep and race them. How well they race Thats per club. Can they raise Yes. Just have to breed along a quality program Crossing other colors into thew base color line That are quality birds. Same That you could do with the colored birds You Find. Far as 1000 mile races Those races are pretty much a thing of the past 500 600 mile races are the most any clubs race today. In the race hobby color ofetn falls second to to quality. No matter the color the bird must have the race quality. Some colors are known to not hold up well in race conditions . Feather breaks down and bird is lost or slowed down to wher it can not compte. NOW the simple thing there would be now the color distance limits say This color can race to the 200 mile race without noticeble feathere damage. Pull the the bird after the 200.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the replies, some very nice web sites of coloured birds.

I have some indigos of Mike Young strain, look like reds but have blueish wing and tail flights.
My silvers over the years have never stood up to racing and no longer figure in the team, sadly. I have plenty of grizzles and reds.
Over here the Tiger grizzle is quite rare and I think I have seen one example in the basket this year.
Louella used to have many opals of both types but not seen any for a long time.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I do not know if you know of a man by the name of Ed Oshaben. He raised and flew a strain of trentons that In my opinion were vastly superior to any that came before him. He passed 7 or 8 years ago. I know his birds went to his daughter who's name is something like lisa or marie or something. She sends birds out to one loft races and does good on the short end. These birds were so heavily culled by ed for so many years, I wouldn't doubt that fact that these birds haven't lost a single good gene in the 8 years he has been gone. She is still breeding out of some of his breeding pairs I do believe. If you are interested I can give you her email if I can find it. You do need to know though it will be pricey to get these birds to the kingdom from the states; but she does have the good old trenton colors that you are looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt,
I would love the E-mail of this lady.
There are a group of people who are importing birds from the USA and Australia so hopefully the price will not be too expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts