Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago a strange looking bird appeared on my drive, once googled I think it is a fantail dove mixed with a pigeon - it came right up to me so obviously used to human contact, but it did look very scraggy and had a lot of poop stuck to it’s feet so I guessed it had come from a coup??, i through down some bird seed and it quickly ate it all up, It struggled but eventually flew up to our garage roof. I continued putting food out the front of the house for it, but did start putting it on the garage roof to keep the bird off the ground as there are a few cats around our area, so now I have this very handsome bird that sits on my garage roof and coos if there is no food for him, he has lost the poop on his feet, he looks a lot healthier and can fly a lot better- is it ok for him to live on his own,? out side in all weathers?, it is raining hard tonight and I can see him on the roof trying to shelter under the overhang of the house roof, any advice would be greatly appreciated as up to now I only feed the wild birds in the back garden, but now I seem to have adopted this beautiful fantail pigeon .

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
This poor pigeon is trying to self rescue, plse catch him and bring him inside. Otherwise he will get caught by a cat or a hawk. He might follow you inside the house if you leave a trail of seeds leading into the house. Otherwise if you can get a large fishing net, you can lower this over him from behind while he is eating. He must be someones escaped pet and the owner can't live far from you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, it would be best to catch it and bring it inside. the owner may also be looking for the bird, so make sure to post about it or put up flyers.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Fantails have poor flying abilities. If it appeared on your driveway, chances are that it was someones pet nearby.
Definitely bring the poor fellow in.. They are 'fancy pigeons' and do not have the skills required to survive in the wild.
They are usually very tame by nature, so please try to bring it indoors and provide a safe space for it with fresh water and feed.
As previously suggested, try to inform your neighbors /locality that you have found a fantail pigeon, it's owner must be worried.
Till further progress, try to read up about them.
Fantails will not be comfortable under the open sky, best to provide an indoor shelter for it.
They are usually very tame birds, I would not let it interact with the wild birds you usually feed outside ;wild pigeons might attack it.
Best of Luck, keep us updated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts