Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given a fantail with an injured leg. Was informed that it was either sprained or broken.

I have isolated her from other birds and keep her quite in a small kennel. She has been such for a

Is there a way to tell if its a sprain or break? How do I treat either, how long to heal, and if broken can it be healed.

Is there anyone in the area that might be able to assist me in face to face.

Im Town of Newburgh, Hudson Valley NY.

I look to your reply,

thomas

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
When did the injury occur? PLEASE post a clear picture of leg and bird, and position of leg?

With such an injury it is best to take bird to a local avian vet asap to determine if it is broke or sprained.

If there is a break it should have been taken care of right away, as the bone will start mend in wrong position.

Is the leg swollen or is their any break in skin, any lesions?

It has been my experience, if leg is dangling it could be a break and needs to be set, but it is hard to tell without a professional looking at it. If they try to stand on it, it may be just sprained.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When did the injury occur? PLEASE post a clear picture of leg and bird, and position of leg?

With such an injury it is best to take bird to a local avian vet asap to determine if it is broke or sprained.

If there is a break it should have been taken care of right away, as the bone will start mend in wrong position.

Is the leg swollen or is their any break in skin, any lesions?

It has been my experience, if leg is dangling it could be a break and needs to be set, but it is hard to tell without a professional looking at it. If they try to stand on it, it may be just sprained.

^ Agree with this.
Does the other person have any idea how it happened?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts