Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to gorgie farm in edinburgh yesterday with my kid and my nephew,its a city farm and also working farm selling produce and crafts etc,they have a flock of white fantails,and now there are more,including regular non fantail white doves and one fella who is white with black splodges,almost like polka dots,we went had look round and saw even more sitting on nests inside lofts,im happy to say,these guys are well looked after!one can buy a small bag of food for 50p to feed them,they are free to come and go to lofts,also in loft area are some tame chickens,silkys who wander round,and some very tame ferals who "share"food etc with the doves,none of the fantails or white guys are ringed,so i said id be happy to bring some rings(coil)and ring the doves and pigeons,the farm is run by volunteers who do a good job!on another story,we are proposing a community garden for our town,maintained by the community on voluntary basis,sooooooo,,,anyone think that a small loft would be a good idea with a few pigeons or doves,im bringing it up at community meeting on the 11th

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Gorgie Farm sounds very cool! I like the idea that you can buy a bit of food to feed them - it's a win-win situation. :)

Regarding a community garden and possibly a loft, you might want to check with other groups who have done this successfully. I'm thinking you would want to be sure that all participants have the same perspective, especially regarding culling the pigeons. If you can make it work, it would be a wonderful idea!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at meeting i plan to take some info on doves and pigeons along,see how the land lies and hopefully get some others interested in pigeons an ddoves beyond the negative press they are normally given here by some

1 - 3 of 3 Posts