1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would not let them out at all, they are easy prey for hawks and cats and dogs as they can not fly as well as homers and preforming breeds.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I let mine out and she dose fine! She dose not go far, she just flies from the loft to the roof of my house and back . they are pretty good at spotting hawks. My birds won't fly if their is a hawk around.

·
Registered
508 Posts
good luck jang!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
reguardless of the info above, fantails are show birds and will be at a disadvantage out in the open, they are safer in an aviary, you make your own mind up as these are your birds, but I would be remiss if I did not at least warn you. you do have birds of prey in CA in fact you have 18 different ones, and as far as cats and dogs go, never saw a cat on my property for 4 years, untill I got pigeons, he had to be trapped and taken to the humane soc. so just because you don't see them know, the pigeons will attract preditors of all kinds and these fantails would be sitting ducks, esp with hawks. here are the 18 types of birds of prey you have in Ca.

Osprey, Pandion haliaetus
White-tailed Kite, Elanus leucurus
Mississippi Kite, Ictinia mississippiensis *
Bald Eagle, Haliaeetus leucocephalus
Northern Harrier, Circus cyaneus
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Accipiter striatus
Cooper's Hawk, Accipiter cooperii
Northern Goshawk, Accipiter gentilis
Common Black-Hawk, Buteogallus anthracinus *
Harris's Hawk, Parabuteo unicinctus *
Red-shouldered Hawk, Buteo lineatus
Broad-winged Hawk, Buteo platypterus
Swainson's Hawk, Buteo swainsoni
Zone-tailed Hawk, Buteo albonotatus
Red-tailed Hawk, Buteo jamaicensis
Ferruginous Hawk, Buteo regalis
Rough-legged Hawk, Buteo lagopus
Golden Eagle, Aquila chrysaetos

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oops forgot about the kestrels and falcon types too.

Crested Caracara, Caracara cheriway *
American Kestrel, Falco sparverius
Merlin, Falco columbarius
Gyrfalcon, Falco rusticolus *
Peregrine Falcon, Falco peregrinus
Prairie Falcon, Falco mexicanus

·
Registered
152 Posts
I lost a really nice Indian Fantail cock to a cat or raccoon or some kind of predator besides a raptor just a few weeks ago, it sucks now I need to find a cock for my 3 hens... It was probably a cat they kill birds and other animals just for fun they often don't even eat them, a raptor or raccoon would've eaten him which is why I'm against outdoor cats.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Osprey, kites, kestrels, and eagles won't give you much problem. Your main concerns are the Cooper's Hawk (aka chicken hawk), Sharp-sins, Peregrines, and Merlin (aka pigeon hawk).

I would not let out American Fantails at all. Indian, Syrian, and Garden Fantails are much better fliers, but none are completely safe from hawks. They aren't very fast and make easy food for them. Cats and dogs can very easily snatch up American Fantails. If you let them out, do not leave the area unless you want your birds gone.

And by the way, it only takes a week to settle fantails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts