Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to fancy pigeons and have been researching different breeds to find the right one for a new loft to be built later this summer. A number of people on my other thread suggested Indian Fantails, which are gorgeous!

My question is: Besides looks, what is the difference in American and Indian Fantails? Are both suitable for beginners? Or do the American Fantails need help to raise their young? It seems that Indian Fantails might be harder to find, which is why I ask...

My other question is on coloring. I have been looking at websites, and the Tail Marked birds are absolutely beautiful! I assume to have tail mark babies, both parents need to be tail marked? If a white / blue / etc bird bred with a tail marked bird, would I then just have a splash / pied bird?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I originally wanted Indian Fantails. I ordered 3 pairs from someone in Rhode Island, and 2 days before they were to be shipped, a raccoon got into his loft and killed all of them! I couldn't find any after that so I settled for American Fantails. Sooooo glad I did. Sweet, friendly and VERY comical with their body movements :D
The biggest difference between the two is that Indian Fantails have feathered feet and legs and a crest on the head. American have clean legs, no crest and their chest sticks WAY out when they 'strut'! Almost not seeing where their going :)
They are a good beginner bird, and great parents. But not a good idea to 'free fly' out of the loft. They are not good flyers and can be easily taken by predators. I have all colors in my loft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Msfreebird, thank you for the quick reply. That's right, it was your "headless" Fantail (head tucked so far back you couldn't photograph his face) in the daily photo thread! Too funny! Your American Fantails sound like a hoot :D

One thing I am definitely putting into my new loft is a flight pen vs an aviary, so that the birds can walk around more. It seems like many of the fancy birds are more walkers than flyers, so a flight pen is important to me. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know an answer to my markings question? RE: To have offspring that are nicely tailmarked, will both parents have to be tailmarked?

Another question I have regarding fantails is on the color white. Is a pure white fantail recessive white? Or?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Anyone know an answer to my markings question? RE: To have offspring that are nicely tailmarked, will both parents have to be tailmarked?

Another question I have regarding fantails is on the color white. Is a pure white fantail recessive white? Or?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
First indian fantails Are much larger then the standard/american fantail. They have muffs/ feathers on there feet a crest. And come in many colors. Then the NEW mindians are a smaller type near the standard /american fans in size. Yes if you use both hen and cock tailmarks you get more tail mark.. Fans should not fly as much as they catch the flights in there tail more.. Causing split tail crooked tail and turned tail feathers. Then more they fly you get a funnel tail. While fantails are not hard to breed they do take a little more care. BUT they are worth it. There are many of both types to be bought. Whites are white not really recessive But white over whit you get white. And birds split for white over white you get mostly whites.. A recessive red tail mark bird sure is a decent looking birds But tail marks come in many colors. Tailmarkings can be faded or strong it depends on the depth of color the parents have. Its a challenge But a fun challenge Make your breeding compartments large as fans do need room.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, re lee. I did not realize there was such a size difference between breeds, that is good to know! Do you discourage flying? Or just put perches / nestboxes lower so they don't need to fly as much? This gives me a lot to think about as I research different breeds, and on purchasing individuals once I've chosen a breed. Thank you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have Indian-American Mixes. Their muffs aren't as large, and their chests do stick out. Their strutting is worse than a chicken :p They are very sweet. There is a size difference, but not enough to be a deal breaker. All fantails are larger pigeons regardless of type. :)

We don't discourage flying in the loft. To be honest they choose to not fly much themselves. Little need for discouragement. One of ours left the loft once (They never try to get out, even if we leave the door wide open, cleaning it) and she flew about 8 feet and gave up. I wouldn't let them out of the loft though. They are easy prey for cats, and even dogs in open areas. ;) Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I have Indian-American Mixes. Their muffs aren't as large, and their chests do stick out. Their strutting is worse than a chicken :p They are very sweet. There is a size difference, but not enough to be a deal breaker. All fantails are larger pigeons regardless of type. :)

We don't discourage flying in the loft. To be honest they choose to not fly much themselves. Little need for discouragement. One of ours left the loft once (They never try to get out, even if we leave the door wide open, cleaning it) and she flew about 8 feet and gave up. I wouldn't let them out of the loft though. They are easy prey for cats, and even dogs in open areas. ;) Good luck
If you look at a indian fan then an standard/ american fan. There is a rather difference in there size. The american fan standard calls for a bird to be 6 inches tall. A cross would be different as it would have the mix of both. Indian fantail muffs are not that large anyway. compared to other breeds. . for just pets letting them fly a person may not care as much. But to show or maintain there desired looks it is best they not do alot of flying.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry, if I sounded confusing, I was simply saying that the size difference between the two most likely will not mean as much to someone who is getting their first pigeons and is new to pigeon keeping. (Unless of course you are wanting to show).
Seeing as how owls has said she is more of an admirer than a fancier, I doubt the differences between indian and fantail will mean as much.

My suggestion would be to look around at both and get what you think looks the prettiest. If you are going to be a backyard admirer there is no need to fret over weight and muff differences :) There are plenty of Indian and Americans in lots of different places. Besides homers, I find fantails to be one of the easiest to find :p

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
True I allways think it is better for a person to sat down and think on the breed of pigeon they would most like to have. That way you get something that intersts you AND it is best to have just one or two breeds Easyer to maintain and work with. Finding a show near by or say 100 miles away to attend gives a person a chance to see in person several different breeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts