Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sad to report that I found Waldo (actually a hen) dead this morning next to her mate, Helmut, who was dutifully sitting on the nest with their one egg. Waldo was fine, or so it seemed, yesterday. No obvious signs of illness or injury. Waldo was a banded Roller pigeon who came to me from our member, KLaw, when Kathryn had to give Waldo up due to having extreme respiratory problems from being around Waldo.

You can find Waldo's whole story here on Pigeon-Talk if you are interested. I had Waldo since Feb. 18, 2008. Far too short of a time.

I don't know if Helmut will continue to try and sit the nest or even if the egg is fertile. It would be lovely if he is able to bring a little half Waldo into the world.

Fly free, Waldo .. that wing isn't stopping you from flying any longer.

Terry

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I'm so sorry Terry :( Waldo was such a pretty little girl! Although she may not have been with you very long, I'm sure she had a wonderful time :) And at least she went quick, unlike a lot of pidgies who suffer for days before passing. Now Maggie and Linda will get to see the wonderful sight of a roller in flight!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry that Waldo is gone, Terry. She is now flying free over the rainbow bridge. I hope you do get a little half Waldo. :eek:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Becky and MJ. I posted privately a bit ago to Kathryn that Waldo is gone. I truly hate having to give such bad news to someone who loved a bird that they gave to me.

On a happier note .. MJ .. Ivan and Beauty have at least one baby today .. maybe two .. I couldn't budge them far enough to see, but there is at least one baby there!

Terry

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Terry,

I was so sad to read this. Waldo was very much loved by Kathryn and you, and of course by her mate Helmut. She will fly free in the hearts of those who remember her for a long time to come. RIP little Waldo.

Margaret

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Waldo. She was a beautiful bird. Whatever
short time she had with you she was loved and well cared for.
It's so hard when we lose one of our precious little ones.
Take care,
Beth

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am so sorry Terry.
What a beautiful bird.
RIP sweet Waldo.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this loss. It never gets easier, but you know this bird had a magnificant life with you, many never get such a chance.

May Waldo rest in peace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Terry, thank you for all you did for her, and thank you for letting me know about her passing. I know it is very painful for you too, and I hope that Helmut is doing okay. I got your message last night four minutes after it was sent, but I needed some time before I could even write a reply, it was so devastating to hear that she was gone.

In the two years that she lived with me, she was my constant companion. To her, I was her mate. If I went into the next room, she would fly after me and land on my shoulder. We had a connection that very few people could understand, but the people on this forum know exactly what I'm saying. When I had to give her up because of pulmonary pneumonitis, I cried day and night for a week, and the pain of that loss never really went away. Not one day has passed without thoughts of her, wishes for her happiness, joy at the thought of her being with a real mate that she loved. That was a huge consolation, and I hope that she was truly happy and didn't miss me like I missed her.

Even though she didn't share our house any more, I will still miss her presence in the world. It is a much sadder place now that she's no longer in it.

Goodnight, sweet angel.

Love, Kathryn

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mother Nature is a puzzle we will never fully understand. But this I do know for sure.... when we take an animal under our sheltering wing, it only needs to be free from stress, free from hunger & thirst, free from the bitter cold. Everything else it needs it will take for itself, including our loving care.
When an animal leaves our sheltering wing, whether it goes to it's freedom in the world or to the Rainbow Bridge, we can be absolutely positive there will be another to take its place in our lives. The new ones will find their way into our hearts, while the old friends who have passed will find their way into that file in our minds we call ''Memory'' and they will live there forever.
Terry.....Grieve a bit for the loss. but rejoice a lot for the love & care he enjoyed under your sheltering wing.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I am so sorry to learn of the passing of this well loved pigeon. For such a small being, she certainly touched many lives!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Terry and KLaw, I'm so sorry for your loss of Waldo. I know much pain you both feel, but know she will always live in your heart and memories.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Terry and Kathryn,

I'm very sorry Waldo has been taken from you, and so unexpectedly. I hope you will take comfort in precious memories and the knowledge that she is now flying free.
Sweet dreams, Waldo!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sorry I am late on this reply, but I to am sorry to hear of your loss.... Waldo certainly was a pretty pigeon......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts