Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advise on relocating my flock of rehabbed feral city pigeons and rescued banded homers and myself to a farm on the edge of the suburbs. I'm wondering if the flock will do ok there. I plan to let the birds that can fly out now and then.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Are they free flying now?
You will have to keep them inside for a few moths at least, even some ferals will try to find their way back home.
The racers and homers I would not let out ever unless you've had them since they were babies.
Then you also will have to be very careful about predators, especially hawks.

Reti

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for advise on relocating my flock of rehabbed feral city pigeons and rescued banded homers and myself to a farm on the edge of the suburbs. I'm wondering if the flock will do ok there. I plan to let the birds that can fly out now and then.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your care of rehabbed homers and our noble ferals.

How far is the move from the original location? Also, where do they currently live...and how many birds in total?

The odds are the homers will return to their original home if they have been allowed to fly outside before, not so sure about the ferals.

IF you have access to the loft/home you are moving from and there are no unforseen dangers there, should they return, you can experiment and allow them release. But make sure to keep them inside their new loft at least 4 weeks, and make sure they have a good view of their surroundings.

If in doubt, I wouldn't release them at all.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I have nineteen. The homers mated with ferals.
Some of the ferals can't fly well or walk well enough for free flight.
The flock is spread in many rooms in my house. Ten downstairs
and 9 upstairs. They are a hodge podge. I let each group socialize.
It seems like they are becoming a flock more than just a group of birds.
I will have the old house a while after I get the new one so I will be
able to come back and see if any birds are there. I need to find out
how to train them to use the loft door at the new place.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think they will be ok. it's not like you are spliting them up, sending some to one place and others somewhere else. They will be together. I would plan on leaving them in for at least 1 year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts