Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is breeding from one loft race winners the fastest way to the top? Do they make good breeders?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Any bird can be a good breeder. One Loft races are a good way to test birds because they are all getting the same treatment. That takes away the variables of having different birds raced from different lofts. Now the only thing holding them back (or pushing them to the top) is their genetics.
But just because they are good racers, does not mean they will produce winners. And it definitely does not mean it will produce winners for you. Some birds will produce good offspring no matter who you put them with. Others may only 'click' with one or two different mates (as far as we know of - it could be mated with a bird in new zealand and be a golden super duper pair). And the rest you may find that no matter how you pair them, they just don't make anything spectacular.
BUT.
Getting proven racers is a good way to start. You know those birds have what it takes to win. Now you can just hope they pass all that good stuff to their kids. You can also hope that your handling will do those kids justice, to where they can live up to their potential.
Another thing to consider though, is the race course. The birds you're wanting to get may race over a bunch of cities out in Florida. But let's say you're in California and your combine flies over the mountains. Birds that do well in one place may not perform as great in your area. That's why they say to breed horses for courses. That isn't always true though - good birds there could be equally or better for you. You never really know until you try. But in my opinion, it's better to start with good birds from people in your combine or those that surround you. You're even luckier if you have one loft races near you that you could get some winners out of.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
One way to think about it is if a guy will spend $1000 to enter a bird into a big race it is his best. Now look at his record and if that is good, obtaining that bird will probably save you years of getting there yourself. Look for a guy that wins his fair share of big races. Buy one of his birds he sent to a race.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
One way to think about it is if a guy will spend $1000 to enter a bird into a big race it is his best. Now look at his record and if that is good, obtaining that bird will probably save you years of getting there yourself. Look for a guy that wins his fair share of big races. Buy one of his birds he sent to a race.
Thats a good way to look at it. I'd look for the guy who's winning in a bunch of different one loft races so you know it's not just that his birds just get in their top from from the way that they are handled in that one loft. Not all birds are the same and if you took the same birds and they all were handled and trained differntly there could be a different winner.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I read an article "The good samarian" about Bob Kinney, you can find it on the links on my web page. He found that when he crossed Gordons in with his new found Janssens that it was gold. He did not have enough Gordons but wanted the best in the country. He went to auctions of one loft races and bought every Gordon bird he could find. His logic was what I state earlier, that if a guy spent good money to race the bird that It was probably his best. He studied those that had Gordons and raced futurities. He knew what he was looking for. A modern day example may be if you like Koopmans to follow the races and buy up every Koopman or mostly Koopman bird sent to the one loft races. I bet when you were done you would have some nice Koopman birds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts