Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little experiment to see what material my birds preferred for nest material. I placed a variety of choices in the loft and watched what they selected. The choices included straw, pine needles, thin twigs, and dry tree leaves. The favorite by far was the dry tree leaves, the thin twigs were second. The straw and pine needles were barely touched. This is not what I expected.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think pigeons are "lazy" nesters (there's an actual term used but I can't remember it). Normally, they only build enough nest to pad the egg and keep it from rolling away. There are always exceptions. As such they are wired to get the most bang for their nesting buck.

On a whim I gave them shredded paper this year with same larger (maple leaf sized) pieces. The used the larger pieces first then went to the shredded strips. I wasn't so much surprised by the order by the marked ness of it. They ignored the shredded until all the large pieces were gone.

If you do opt for paper (which I really like btw), use news paper for the pieces and heavier craft paper for the strips (I get the 3' wide rolls from building supply places like home depot). The heavy paper adds the volume that sticks would have.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I put indoor/outdoor carpet in a nest bowl, they lay the eggs and raise the babys. All their energy goes to raising the babys not to building nest. They aren't in there to do anything but raise good babys.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I put indoor/outdoor carpet in a nest bowl, they lay the eggs and raise the babys. All their energy goes to raising the babys not to building nest. They aren't in there to do anything but raise good babys.
I believe that nest building is part of the process...they seem to be happier and almost have a look of satisfaction while they are doing it. Or, maybe Im nuts:D

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I believe that nest building is part of the process...they seem to be happier and almost have a look of satisfaction while they are doing it. Or, maybe Im nuts:D

No. You're not nuts. They love building their nests. Mine aren't lazy about it either. Some of them build thrones. They really enjoy poking around and finding a nice piece of straw to bring home to their mate. It's something they enjoy, and it's natural. I think to take that away from them is mean. And an important part of their mating and breeding. I think most of them, if given the right materials, will build great nests.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have a large beech tree right near my loft and do not have to pick up any small twigs from it.. they do love them and it helps me out too! :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use pine needles, the birds seem to love them I tried to watch them build the nest they must not like being supervised because there isn't much work going on when I watch them but as soon as I leave and come back hours later little buggers! have a nice nest constructed it's neet how they inner twine the needles pretty cool:)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I use pine needles, the birds seem to love them I tried to watch them build the nest they must not like being supervised because there isn't much work going on when I watch them but as soon as I leave and come back hours later little buggers! have a nice nest constructed it's neet how they inner twine the needles pretty cool:)

If they're comfortable with you being around, they wouldn't wait til you leave. I can hand mine pieces of straw or the long pine needles, and they take them and bring them to their box. So cute.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i use the long pine needles, that's all they will use, and yes i have a few that don't use a lot of them but others make the biggest nest i have ever seen for a pigeon, and i mean BIG.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
This pair loves to collect nesting material. I was looking for a wood shim that I knew I had in the loft. Found it this morning in their nest box. My Indian Fan just loves collecting. His mate is a cute little roller.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Nice looking roller. I really like that color.

(see, I am capable of a sane post - once in a very great while):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I used to basically do the nest building for them by providing them with shavings, but this year I have started using pine needles, and they love them! Once the babies arrive, and if I see some of the needles getting pushed out of the nest, then I just pick the babies up gently and put some shavings underneath them and the pine needles on the sides.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Nice looking roller. I really like that color.

(see, I am capable of a sane post - once in a very great while):rolleyes:

LOL. Yes...........except that the pic was to show how much straw they used, not to show off the bird. LOL LOL LOL :p

·
Registered
678 Posts
If they're comfortable with you being around, they wouldn't wait til you leave. I can hand mine pieces of straw or the long pine needles, and they take them and bring them to their box. So cute.
As far as the birds being comfortable when I'am around I can handle each bird with out chasing them around the loft so they don't seem spooked! of me, I hand feed them also a bit confused on the comfortable part:confused:would be nice to watch them build there nest from start to end:cool:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
LOL. Yes...........except that the pic was to show how much straw they used, not to show off the bird. LOL LOL LOL :p
DARN IT!!! :mad: and I tried soooo hard! Okay already, nice nest.:rolleyes:

( but I still like the bird ):D

·
Registered
958 Posts
My birds have timothy hay straw pine needles and tobacco stems. They seem to like the tobacco stems the best. I have birds building tall nest about 6I inches above the nest bowl amazing.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
As far as the birds being comfortable when I'am around I can handle each bird with out chasing them around the loft so they don't seem spooked! of me, I hand feed them also a bit confused on the comfortable part:confused:would be nice to watch them build there nest from start to end:cool:

Then they must be comfortable with you. Don't know why they won't build when you are there. It's fun to watch them. I only put down so much at a time. So actually, they are adding to the nest that they have already started. So if they have enough for just a small nest, when I put more down a couple of days later, they want to add more, and they probably want to get it before the others do. So they come down and take it. Maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Then they must be comfortable with you. Don't know why they won't build when you are there. It's fun to watch them. I only put down so much at a time. So actually, they are adding to the nest that they have already started. So if they have enough for just a small nest, when I put more down a couple of days later, they want to add more, and they probably want to get it before the others do. So they come down and take it. Maybe that's the difference?
I will watch for when they start to build the nest then I will add some pine needles a little at time and see how that goes thanks:cool:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
When you clean out the box and get rid of the old nest, don't they want to rebuild then?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts