Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I have a Pigeon that has gotten sick, he has been standing on 1 leg, puffing his feathers up, more water than food in his chest, and has green watery Droppings.

I have givenhim a 4-In-1 Medication but have cut it into 4 portions, 1 for each day.

Please help by telling me what causes this and how to prevent this and how to cure this.

Thank you All

IF Possible please call me 214 418 8507 with your answer

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your bird is sick.

You need to bring the bird inside for 24/7 observation, and the bird needs to be hand fed if it is not eating, because that is what could kill him before you get to the bottom of it. Make sure the bird is warm and kept out of air drafts.

What do you mean by more water then food in his chest, is the crop full of water or is he drinking water only?

The bird may not be responding to the meds because either the dosage isn't strong enough to fight the issues it treats or the bird has something else that this med doesn't treat. If the bird hasn't eaten then he is also run down and weak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.
If you touch his CHest You can feel the Water and Very little food. I am starting to Give him the Whole Pill That should Do it..

Thank you

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry he's sick. Please get him on a heat source such as a heating pad set on low with a towel, or even a sock filled with uncooked rice and microwaved (check for hot spots). The heat will help him while you treat him. You can also usually add some raw apple cider vinegar to his water but I'm not sure if that's advisable with the 4-in-1. I hope you figure out what's wrong and he gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi,
The green, watery droppings could be a sign of Coccidia (2 day treatment with Baycox) or paratypoid (treatment with Baytril and probiotics). Both will cause those kinds of droppings.

Has your pigeon started to waste away? The wasting is more a sign of Paratypoid (which is a kind of salmonella poisoning). Coccidia is more common though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts