Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Pigeon-talk community.

I had an account a while back and you guys helped me determine that the doves I have are white ringnecks.

Anyway my birds are about 10 years old now and have been separated from maturity (turns out they weren't a mating pair after all... two males= bloodshed).

We recently renovated the house (put in new flooring, painted, and moved the furniture- of course the birds were in a separate room to avoid noise and paint fumes). The bird who was most relaxed and outgoing ever since being moved back to his usual spot in the house has been compulsively over preening to the point of pulling out feathers all around his neck and back. He has also been scratching his head and removing feathers that way.

I tried moving things around so he'd get more daylight, offered millet to distract him, gave him paper to rip up, but nothing has helped. His skin is looking very red and sore and he hasn't been his usual talkative self (he hardly coos at all anymore). He also really enjoyed making a "nest" out of paper shreds and hay but has seemingly abandoned that for feather pulling.

He is still eating and drinking normally- though he's not bathing as much as he usually does.

The other bird is completely normal, he preens but stops before feathers get pulled out. I've checked them for mites even though they have had no contact with any other animals or outside items.

I was thinking that maybe the renovations had caused him stress but I don't know what I can change back or how I can help him adjust. I really don't want to see him so upset/sore.

Any suggestions? or has anyone had similar experiences?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello Pigeon-talk community.

I had an account a while back and you guys helped me determine that the doves I have are white ringnecks.

Anyway my birds are about 10 years old now and have been separated from maturity (turns out they weren't a mating pair after all... two males= bloodshed).

We recently renovated the house (put in new flooring, painted, and moved the furniture- of course the birds were in a separate room to avoid noise and paint fumes). The bird who was most relaxed and outgoing ever since being moved back to his usual spot in the house has been compulsively over preening to the point of pulling out feathers all around his neck and back. He has also been scratching his head and removing feathers that way.

I tried moving things around so he'd get more daylight, offered millet to distract him, gave him paper to rip up, but nothing has helped. His skin is looking very red and sore and he hasn't been his usual talkative self (he hardly coos at all anymore). He also really enjoyed making a "nest" out of paper shreds and hay but has seemingly abandoned that for feather pulling.

He is still eating and drinking normally- though he's not bathing as much as he usually does.

The other bird is completely normal, he preens but stops before feathers get pulled out. I've checked them for mites even though they have had no contact with any other animals or outside items.

I was thinking that maybe the renovations had caused him stress but I don't know what I can change back or how I can help him adjust. I really don't want to see him so upset/sore.

Any suggestions? or has anyone had similar experiences?
Excessive preening could start because of the big molt that happens this time of year, then being a male dove with lack of a mate could cause anxiety and stress and odd behavior, they pretty much live to pair, mate and nest. I would treat the birds for mites and lice anyway to cover that issue, it's pretty simple.
IMO both boys needs a hen of their own, most humans don't want to be alone the rest to their lives either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts