Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Some pigeons decided my balcony is prime real estate and are now building a nest! I am quite excited about this! My question is how long after they have built a nest will they lay eggs???

Excited to learn all about my new feathery guys!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If they have made a nest already you should see an egg in a week or less time. The second eggs will arrive upto 48 hours later :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It should be a great learning experience for you! Its amazing seeing the baby's turn from little fuzzy critters to fully feathered and flying away from the nest :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really into photography as well as birds so this is double the excitement! Can't wait to snap some photos of the whole process!

How do people go about having pigeons as pets?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well for that you need to buy (or get some free ones) domesticated pigeons. There's many breeds of domesticated pigeons out there. Racing homer, pakistani high flyers, birmingham rollers, Indian fantails, Santinettes, Frillbacks, are just a few that come to my mind right away (There's 100's of them)

You can buy the birds from a breeder/pigeon fancier. Before getting birds you need to make sure you have proper housing built. A loft to be exact. Depending on how many pigeons you want to raise, make sure there is etiquette room. Make sure the loft isn't drafty, but it is well ventilated. Make sure it remains dry even if it rains. Provide clean drinking water and a mix of seeds as a diet and you can keep pigeons fairly simply. Are you interested in a particular breed of pigeons? For a new commer, there are a lot of very nice people on this forum that will guide you through the process of building a loft and getting you birds too. :)

Feel free to personal message me if you have further questions!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You should have babies in around 17 - 18 days after the second egg is laid , chances are if you attend to them you may have a couple of pet pigeons....... Personally I think pigeons make excellent pets :D

Please keep us updated with some of your photography ........I would love to see some of your work !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts