Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My pigeon Philly recently lost his wife, and I've been paying especially close attention to him to make sure that he's OK. I've had him for 8 years and he didn't seem like a baby when I got him, so he does seem to be a senior bird.

I just noticed that some of the feathers on Philly's back seem to be sticking out a bit, especially when he's sleeping. I think I've seen him look like this very often in the past but I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the early stages of him being puffed up as in indicator of feeling unwell. Philly has been going through a molt, and he did just get looked at by our vet last week and he seemed fine (his weight was down just a few grams but we thought this was likely due to his molt). Philly's activity level in general seems good; he's very happy to run after the other birds and chase them away when they land in his territory (Philly hasn't himself been able to fly in the last 8 years; he was found with a broken wing that left him flightless), as well as to do a lot of displaying and cooing at the other birds when he can see them up on perches. I do sometimes see him sleeping / resting with his eyes closed in the middle of the day, but I think that they all do that, and I think that he especially may always have tended to do a significant amount of that.

Please find pictures attached (sorry the one of him sleeping is heavily zoomed in and pretty grainy - I just didn't want to wake him up by approaching him in order to take the picture).

Any input on whether he looks OK / just like a senior bird molting or whether this looks a bit too much like starting to be fluffed up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Howard

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
His feathers do look kind of rough. Does he bathe?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has a water bath (we use what I think are 8" square Tupperware dishes with about 1.5 inches of water), and I'm pretty sure that I saw him use it at least a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure if he's used it more recently than that.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
What does he eat for a diet?
Does he get vitamins?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He eats Baden Feed Tippler Mix. Yes; he does get vitamins added to his water: 1/4 tsp Hagen Prime and 1/4 tsp Bene-Bac Plus. He also has access to red grit and oyster shell.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Could just be his age and the molting. If he were to let up on his eating or drinking more, or not getting around as he normally does, then I would look for why. Watch him and see how he does. Any changes then be concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts