Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a new baby that has no yellow fuzz, and after a week has no start to any feathers. Can I have a bald pigeon on my hands? Has anyone ever had one? Looks kinda odd at best.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Naked

On page 334 in the book THE PIGEON by W.M.LEVI there is a picture of 4 naked pigeons I will quote from the book. "Featherless:pigeons hereditarily naked i. e.,entirely featherless,were discovered in a family of Racing Homers in Washington.Two adults pairs were sent to the University of Wisconin laboratory for study in 1938. They proved incapable of producing fertile eggs because of their inability to copulate. Owen(see paragraph 498),through a process of artificial insemination,has obtained progeny.Cole and Owen(1944) reported the genetic tests which showed it to be a simple recessive character(gene). It has subsequently become extinct." end of quote. While I do not believe that you have naked pigeons I do believe that you have dilutes,if I knew what colors the parents are I could tell you what the color the youngster will be. But if by chance you do have naked pigeons DO NOT DESTORY THEM there are genetic men that would be very intrested in them. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
parents

both of the parents are white. with one or two blk feathers on the hen in the tail, and the dad has a brown spot on his back.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If this is a naked pigeon, I would take him in as a house pet....I get first dibs if you get rid of him.!:D....but he sounds like he will be a "white" bird.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on going saga

I hopd for a white chick, In the rare chance that it is not well we will corss that bridge then. Thanks for the great info. And I will be in touch. pics soon i hope.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
finally feathers

I have been relieved, and saddend to say that the chick got the first sprouts of feathers today. Everyone took so much interest in the possible bald chick. I was getting excited to have one. But alas we have white feathers.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have been relieved, and saddend to say that the chick got the first sprouts of feathers today. Everyone took so much interest in the possible bald chick. I was getting excited to have one. But alas we have white feathers.
good to know.....HE will be happier with feathers Im sure...:p:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
baby gone

Mom and Dad stopped feeding the little sqeaker, and well I just didnt catch it in time. So, my pure white baby has gone. Sad to say, I think he or she was a real cutie. It will be missed.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I suppose this bird froze to death? Or it starved? Or was it sick at all?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts