Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a microscope so I can do my own fecal exams. What power lens is preferable? x400, x600, x900, x1200? I borrowed a old VHS tape that has bad audio on it but it does show how to isolate the exam media and what to look for during the exam. So what level of magnification is best to use?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I am thinking of buying a microscope so I can do my own fecal exams. What power lens is preferable? x400, x600, x900, x1200? I borrowed a old VHS tape that has bad audio on it but it does show how to isolate the exam media and what to look for during the exam. So what level of magnification is best to use?
The lens size depends on what your looking for. And whether your looking at 'floats' for parasites or 'stains' for bacteria. Or 'scrapings' for external parasites.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
And just to add to this.....you can find bacteria in a stain, but in order to find out 'what kind' of bacteria it is, and what the bacteria is sensitive to for treatment......you need to do a Culture (grow it) & Sensitivity (see what drugs kill it) which usually takes about 1 week to process.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lens size depends on what your looking for. And whether your looking at 'floats' for parasites or 'stains' for bacteria. Or 'scrapings' for external parasites.
I think I need to be looking for the protozoans of Coccidia such as Toxoplasma, Isospora, and Sarcocystis species. I'll have to buy Dr Colin Walkers book for the growing cultures procedures..for now I want to inspect for parasites and protozoans.

·
Registered
851 Posts
1000 will get you 90% of what you need. At least if you are like me and don't want to get much past the "looks like X so let's go talk to pigeon-talk".

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I think I need to be looking for the protozoans of Coccidia such as Toxoplasma, Isospora, and Sarcocystis species. I'll have to buy Dr Colin Walkers book for the growing cultures procedures..for now I want to inspect for parasites and protozoans.
Most of those you'll see on a 'float' so 900 (1000) will get you by.

·
Registered
851 Posts
For that price I would think it is a toy, but all you really care about is being able to see the "bad critters". As long as the optics are "good enough" it will do. Keep in mind a local medical supply shop should be able to give you a basic scope for about $60. It won't be fancy but it will be more than enough.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Anyone have any idea where a copy of that "old VHS tape" could be had? Any ideas where newer information could be obtained?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I got a pretty basic one designed for bird parasite identification a while back, and that was roughly $120.

Pidgey did a write up on microscopes and there's a thread on it here:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/use-of-microscope-for-pigeon-health-10561.html
Thank you for the link.

Anyone have any idea where a copy of that "old VHS tape" could be had? Any ideas where newer information could be obtained?
Honestly, I believe that video was produced back in the 80's and has probably been watched over 100 times. It's an oldy but still good to know. As someone said before there is nothing new under the sun so what was true then is true now. I believe the "go to" reference book on this subject is Dr. Collin Walkers "The Flying Vet". A friend of mine has it and I just quickly scanned through the pages, but it covers Pigeon Health in depth.

Edit:
Reading through Pidgy's thread his links show images of his test done at 100x definetly worth reading.. Thanx again John. The thread is a well thought out "do it yourself" explanation that helped me.

I also saw someone posted a link to a free online Vetenarian Professional Education reference library.. http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/education.jsf

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Thank you for the link very informative..I just happen to have my tall cup of Dark Roast and the thought came to me..

Welders can Weld
Pipefitters can fit
If your gonna raise pigeons
you better know your (fecal exam);)
:D

Dat Rocks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts