Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam new to this forum as well as raising pigeons. I have done enough research to start construction of a loft. What exactly are ya'll feeding them? Pellets, wild bird feed...?:confused:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Whitewater, welcome to Pt! I feed my birds whole corn, pop corn, sunflower hearts, barley, safflower, yellow and green peas. I also make sure they have grit all the time. Thats what I do. There will be others here to let you know what they do. This is a great site with lots of info!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi whitewater, and welcome!

There are many options when it comes to feed. A lot of fanciers do mix their own, but it can be complicated to get the right nutrition mix for your birds if you are new to the hobby.

The easiest thing for a beginner to do to ensure proper nutrition would be to find a nearby feed store that sells a commercial pigeon seed mix or pigeon pellet. Wild bird seed is usually very high in fat, which can cause serious health issues for pigeons over time. And mixes or pellets marketed for game birds or waterfowl do not have the proper nutrition for pigeons either. But most feed stores seem to carry at least one type of pigeon mix.

Also you'll need to make sure the pigeons have an adequate supply of grit. Feed and grit are usually sold in 50lb bags. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to PT Whitewater! I've recently started up the hobby again and I did exactly what Moonswirl suggested and that's going to a local feed store and buy a sack of pigeon mix, and grit. My feed store sells grit by the pound. They sell different mixes, and each mix has a different protein percentage. Choose one that fits the breed of pigeon you plan on raising. Good luck! Enjoy this site, there is tons of info here and good people to help you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts