Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went to feed store about hour way yesterday cause I was down that way and its 14 dollars a bag cheaper then local feed store. Was there with another fancier who I was picking up some birds from and we was talking with feed store owner. This is where the debate begin between them 2.

Feed store owner said we would be better of with the grains with cracked corn and other flyer said cracked corn would cut there crops or throats. Then owner said it was no sharper or harder on birds then the grit. Also the debate was over moisture and all that getting in cracked corn and the owner said thats also how all the vitamins get in the corn and shell corn is basically worthless.

So I have heard and read many people who are on both side of the fences on cracked corn. My step father has been using it for 25 years on rollers with no issues at all. I don't use it just cause I have read negative things about it. But is it really that bad what is your opinion for it or against it. I never plan to use it as its only 2 dollars a bag difference here and thats not worth the risk for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When we run out of wheat instead of buying wheat at the feed store(way over priced compared to what farmer gets) we feed scratch feed which is 40/60 wheat/cracked corn. It has never been a issue with the fantails. I have learned I am a bad pigeon keeper due to the fact my birds have never been treated for anything other than giving them the medicated feed for worms(made for chickens). This site has taught me alot. But with my track record of using cracked corn I will keep using it. Have had fantails for 5 years with no illness in my flock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honeyrobber I don't think you are a bad bird keeper at all. MY stepfather only treats for worms and puts garlic in water and that is all he has ever done. Never been issue for him but he don't go to competitions or nothing just keeps birds for his enjoyment. I grew up like this so I woudln't put anyone down for following same path. He gets his feed from rural king its wild bird seed and scratch grains thats all he feeds them. Never been issue and like I said I have heard a lot of agruments for it and against it. I have heard of a lot of pigeon racers using it also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This same silly question pops up regularly here every couple of months.

People argue both sides of it and it's always about whether or not CRACKED CORN is dangerous both from a sharpness issue and a health issue in regards to mould.

The sharpness issue is a no brainer. If the thousands of us who feed it regularly to our birds are telling you that we have never ever had a problem with it then logically it follows that .... you will not have a problem with it either.

Mold is another no brainer. It has been stated here many times that there are concerns that mould can infect the corn because it's so called protective shell has been opened. This can be true I suppose if your feed is improperly stored but if your feed is improperly stored then ALL OF the grain can become mouldy, not just the cracked corn.

Where I live, The cost of a 40 kilogram (90 lb) bag of mixed grain (scratch) costs $17.00. Buying peas, sunflower, popcorn etc separately and adding it adds about another $15.00 to the cost for a total of $32.00. A half sized 20 kilo (45 lb) bag of pigeon mix is presently $22.00. That is a $12.00 value difference in my favor. The extra freedom in being able to mix my own means that I can easily adjust the content to suit below freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We were given 5 fantail pigeons about 5 years ago and the person that gave them to us kept them with their chickens. No special feed or treatment except for a few nest boxes that I now know are to small. We were giving the fantails a 12 inch cube for a nest box. Only breeding trouble we had was fighting over nest as our cubes were right next to each other. I saw that and resolved the problem by setting up another cage for the extras and moving the boxes farther apart. 50% of what we feed the pigeons is layer mash for laying hens. It has grit/calcium in the feed. I admit I did not study up on pigeons before getting the fantails. So yes I was a bad pigeon keeper. I listened to the person we got them from and did no reading/searching for info. Any animal you keep you need to know its requirements before getting it. I did not know anything and just took what the guy we got them from was doing. This year I plan on actually pairing these birds up instead of letting them choose.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If you keep store it properly, you won't have problems. Don't let it sit around in the loft. Feed them what they can eat, then take out the rest. Any feed can get contaminated and moldy. I've used it a lot when I have no other choice. No problems here. I prefer whole corn and popcorn but it's not because I'm afraid to feed cracked corn. Cracked corn/scratch feed seems to have a lot more "trash" in it and more dusty.
Also, I can't believe the guy said cracked corn has more nutrients. It's the same corn, just one has been busted up. Unless you put vitamin/mineral powder on it, then yeah, it's going to stick better to the cracked corn. But a little oil will fix that!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I never plan to use it as its only 2 dollars a bag difference here and thats not worth the risk for me.
There are too many successful and experienced people who say don't feed cracked corn. So I will not. And price is the absolute worst criteria for choosing a feed. It seems difficult to believe that a feed man would say that cracked corn allows or is the way that vitamins and minerals get into the corn.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
cracked corn would not be as nutrional as whole corn. PLUS cracked corn could come from the LOWER grades of corn.. Can the birds eat it and live sure Is it as good for them as whole corn probably not. Whole corn over all is still not bad priced at 50 pound bags. I know several mexicans that race there birds and have some rather good birds They have spent a few thousand dollar each to buy . They only feed a mixture of whole corn and milo And there birds LOOK good and will win the races with just this feed program.PLUS they know how to handle there birds to where the birds are darn near a pet We would be surprised as to what some lofts use and the birds do well. I would not use cracked corn But as long as the birds are healthy and breed and perform well That is what counts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What about the many experienced and successful people who say it is OK to use cracked corn, we don't count ? :D.

I am only a back yard hobbyist who flies his birds for pleasure. If however I was into racing I would likely have a different feeding regimen, one more suited to speed and endurance ( can anyone say steroids ). Same thing if I was into show birds.

And price not a criteria ? my daughter just bought herself a winter jacket at $ 550.00. I'll bet it's no warmer than my old wool one that cost me $35.00. She paid about $500 bucks for the name printed on the label.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In years past 25-30 . we didn't have all these special blends of feed. We would feed three grains Whole Corn ,wheat , and milo. Fly them to 500 and get day birds. Would add a little vitamins , wormed and cankered, sulmet . The birds got no. candy feed. No sunflowers ,etc. So why am I spending $$ for all this high dollar feed . I don't know. If you keep them heathly and trained in shape ,good birds a must, you will win once in a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts