Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of peanuts should i feed my racers? and does anyone know where to get them? and why should i feed my racers peanuts?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I feed my birds once a week with food grade peanuts, which I purchase from Jedds. I just followed the posts on this forum, and feed them as a treat.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Raw spanish peanuts, without the shell of course, are great treats for the birds. Spanish peanuts are a bit smaller and easier for the birds to swallow. For homers, they don't need to be further broken up, they'll just swallow'em whole. If I'm out, I'll just get a bag in the produce section of Walmart or Foodlion while I'm there. Otherwise, a guy in our club orders and sells boxes of them, 8 pounds in a box I believe. Sometimes I put a few in the crates while we're loading up to train, just so the young birds learn being put in a box isn't such a bad thing after all :p I like to have a few upon return so next time they are released, they might think 'HEY THERE'S PEANUTS AT HOME!" and come running, LOL. :p I also put some in their food before they're shipped off to a race. Gives them some extra energy.
Peanuts are a really good source of protein, so that's why you don't want to feed the birds a whole lot of them all the time. But with a good exercise program, some peanuts shouldn't make them get too chubby.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Makes me wonder do pigeons have taste buds?? What makes pigeons want certain grains like peanuts more than other grains....is it because they taste good?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I second Red Spanish Peanuts! My homer Dovey loves 'em. He's the only one of my birds that seems to like them, but the others might eat them when I'm not looking.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Makes me wonder do pigeons have taste buds?? What makes pigeons want certain grains like peanuts more than other grains....is it because they taste good?
I believe pigeons have 35 taste buds if I remember right. So they aren't really as picky as we take them to be. But yeah, I think the little buds they do have, must really like the peanuts :p Or maybe because they know it's like junk food, being full of protein and things that make them get fat quick :p Like kids. They don't think about how fat and hyper they'll get, they just care if it tastes good :p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I feed mine regular peanuts, which they prefer to Spanish peanuts. The size isn't a problem, as I chop them. When I pull out the peanuts, they flock to me. They just love them! They help to make friends with an aloof pigeon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I feed my birds spanish peanuts, I come out of the loft looking like a wild man. They set on my head, shoulder, arms and they attack me for them. It is funny but they and I seem to enjoy it. The first time my wife saw me come from the loft with my hair all looking like a crazed man, she thought I was having a bad hair day. I don't know why they like them, but they surely do.

George

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When I feed my birds spanish peanuts, I come out of the loft looking like a wild man. They set on my head, shoulder, arms and they attack me for them. It is funny but they and I seem to enjoy it. The first time my wife saw me come from the loft with my hair all looking like a crazed man, she thought I was having a bad hair day. I don't know why they like them, but they surely do.

George
LMAO!!!!! Good Lord, can I ever relate to that. That is SOOOOOOOO funny! I'm lucky some days that I get out alive. They are all over me! Fighting with each other! Some days it's like a war zone. If I have my reading glasses on, they sometimes get knocked off. Good thing they're on a string. (still laughing) I can visualize what you look like when you get out of there. Apparently our birds were not raised with many manners. LOL. :p:eek::D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts