Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Hello! A questions about percentages of grain, breeding, bird preferences, etc. I feed a 14% pre-mix commercial product:

http://www.old-elm.com/14ncap.html

I add corn during the cold weather. I add safflower during the molt. At times, the birds will eat everything- other times they will eat everything, leaving the wheat. Now, they are leaving just what appears to be the red milo. Preference, I guess.

My breeding birds are just hammering the peas. I'd like to add something to up the protein a little. I can't find a source for just dried canadian or maple peas locally- so I might order some.

Would adding corn or safflower help to up the protein a little? Is there something else commonly available that I could try, like popcorn? Or, are the birds just being picky? Should I just leave the milo down until they eat it all?

I tried adding a little chicken starter to the mix, but stopped that immediately when the droppings changed drastically for the worse. Too messy for me.

Thanks for any thoughts!

cbx

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can find those dried green split peas and lentils at the grocery where the dried beans are to make soups.. I have added the green or even yellow peas to a mix.. corn is a carb so it would not up the protein..I think some peas would do it.. 14% is not bad..a few more peas for the breeder may be appreciated.. purina has a pellet that can be added to the mix if the breeders would eat it also. this pellet is just called pigeon checkers..not the nutrablend kind..those are to use by themselves.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
All:

Hello! A questions about percentages of grain, breeding, bird preferences, etc. I feed a 14% pre-mix commercial product:

http://www.old-elm.com/14ncap.html

I add corn during the cold weather. I add safflower during the molt. At times, the birds will eat everything- other times they will eat everything, leaving the wheat. Now, they are leaving just what appears to be the red milo. Preference, I guess.

My breeding birds are just hammering the peas. I'd like to add something to up the protein a little. I can't find a source for just dried canadian or maple peas locally- so I might order some.

Would adding corn or safflower help to up the protein a little? Is there something else commonly available that I could try, like popcorn? Or, are the birds just being picky? Should I just leave the milo down until they eat it all?

I tried adding a little chicken starter to the mix, but stopped that immediately when the droppings changed drastically for the worse. Too messy for me.

Thanks for any thoughts!

cbx
Suspect there is no "right" answer to your question. I will attempt to answer your questions.

If you find yourself those links to the various food values of the various seeds we feed our pigeons, you will be able to answer a number of your questions. Suggest you go to a place that sells a lot of different wild bird seeds. Turn over the packages, and look at some of the listed food values. Corn will increase the carbs and lowers your protein as an example.

Some small percentage of black oil sun flower seeds if available would do what you seek. If you find seeds left over, they are simply telling you that you are putting out too much food !

Breeding of course opens up a whole different issue, and why I use a breeding pellet which is available in my area. Contrary to previous posts I may have made, I would recommend pick pots and grit be offered at all times.

But it sounds like, you might only have to see if you over looked a feed store somewhere under a hundred miles from you, where numerous options might be available to you. No point is suggesting you buy this or that, this brand or that, you just need a source of supply and various seed values. If I can find it in some earlier thread I will post, unless someone can find it for us.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Warren...

I looked in the sticky at the top, but it appears the original article is no longer there? Unless I'm missing something.

You are right, there are two more feed stores within a reasonable drive that I need to check out. I think they only offer their own mixed formula, though. The one I thought would be the ticket doesn't offer bulk products anymore. I was just curious what might offer the best result, be commmonly available, and I'll expand the search from there.

I should add that the only birds that have leftovers are the breeders. If I have leftovers in other areas, I either cut back, or let them clean it up completely before offering more. They are fed measured amounts, at the same times every day. I am watchful of not overfeeding flying birds. My theory is if they're a little leaner, they fly better and trap faster. Fat and lazy means hawk-food in my neighborhood, sadly enough.

I am fearful for some reason, of having chicks not getting proper nutrition if I were ever *stingy* with food. So, I make sure they're kept regularly fed, along with plenty of waterers, grit and mineral supplements. I know the parents are probably overfed as a result... at least a little.

Thank you,

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts