Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just finished my loft and I am getting 2 pair of homers on wednesday. I got some pigeon feed today from my feed store. It has 14 percent protien 2 percent crude fat and 10 percent (max) crude fiber. It contains Milo, wheat, trapper peas, buckwheat andoat groets. I am going to let the birds pair up and breed 1 or2 sets of babies on their own and I was wondering about a few things.

1) what other than grit and oyster shell do I need to give them.

2) How should I introduce them to their new loft. Should I just put them in and leave them for a while, or should I check on them some. It will probably be close to dark by the time I get home with them.

3)I forgot my other question, I will have to ask it later:rolleyes:

I don't want to screw things up for them and traumatize them of anything. I have never had pigeons so any feedback would greatly apprediated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I remembered my other question. (DUH) What is the best to use for nest bowls. I have seen that people use dog bowls, square baskets, clay bowls and several other things. Is it just a personal preferance thing or should I go with what they have where I am getting them?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you will want to up the protein before you let them hatch babies and while they are feeding babies. would keep an eye on them for a few weeks to make sure everyone is healthy, you can give preventaive meds before breeding for cocci and canker. check the pigeon supply sites for meds. they will or might hurt them selves in the dark if they get startled, so you may want to cage them untill the morning so they can see their surroundings. it takes them a good week to settle in and know your routine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I keep the cocks and hens seperate for a little bit or just let them all in together right away? Would it be bad to leave the light on in the loft for an hour or so? What can I give them to boost the protien?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Should I keep the cocks and hens seperate for a little bit or just let them all in together right away? Would it be bad to leave the light on in the loft for an hour or so? What can I give them to boost the protien?
if you have only pairs you can keep them together, going to a new loft is stressful and they would probably feel safer together for now. yes leave the light on for a few hours so they can decide where they want to rest or roost before the lights out. to up the protein there are differing things. alot of folks have their own way of doing it, I add game bird breeder pellets or even purina all stock, some even use the fish pellet feed in a crock dish in the nest box next to the seed, they say they eat it and like it to feed babies with it, I don't know as I have not tried it , I just mix a pellet that is 20 % protein in with my feed that is 16% protein, it also has the benifit of vitamins. you can also add safflower seed too as that is a fatty seed, not much nutrient in it though, but they like them alot.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nest bowls are probably personal preferences. Just make sure it wont flip over and big enough for that particular breed.

For breeding the higher the protein the better.

I just leave my new birds inside the loft. Let them feel comfortable and I check them an hour later. If it is at night, then don't disturb them. But I still do check once say at sunset. I just want to make sure that they get their own perch and not on the floor before they go sleeping.

·
Registered
499 Posts
nestbox should be big enough for the nesting pair and two squabs,// parents (pairs)need to be kept a distance apart,,/.,after hatching the nest will need to be changed daily/hygeine,.-they walk away from their sleep area to poop-so do-not use a bowl concept,/.do not over crowd the coup-parents need room and exercise,..i use a camera to keep order,in their heated,air conditioned home/i feel climate control is important for good health,.along with daily clean fresh water,/..wild bird food,pigeon food,nothing any larger than popcorn,or the potential exists for choking/death,..the female decides when to lay eggs,two days apart,parents rotate shifts as to whom sits on the eggs/in 18 days,the parents open the eggs,.squabs grow at an alarming rate,they reach full size,fully feathered,at 30 days,.then the beatings start,..and they know it is time to move on,.hope this info.helps ,sincerely james waller

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
antone have suggestions on nest boxes?
I would say 24' long 16' deep and 12' high, that would be the minimum I would make them, it is easier if you have fronts, or I would enclose at least half of the box with slates, you would put the slates back to back in the middle leaving the openings on oppossite sites of each other. here is a pick of some homemade nest boxes and fronts I found, If you can put the fronts on hinges to open the whole front to clean inside the box it woud be alot easier too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bad. I meant to say nest bowls. I already have nest boxes made in the loft. They are 30 x 14 x 16 tall with fronts on them. sorry about the confusion. There are pics of my loft in my album if anyone wants to see them. Thanks for the feedback though. I really appreciate all the help that I can get:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
GOOD LUCK bcr1! your birds are lucky to have such a caring owner. ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
My bad. I meant to say nest bowls. I already have nest boxes made in the loft. They are 30 x 14 x 16 tall with fronts on them. sorry about the confusion. There are pics of my loft in my album if anyone wants to see them. Thanks for the feedback though. I really appreciate all the help that I can get:)
oh, well I went to the family dollar and bought all the large plastic dog bowls they had, I like the size and they do curve in the bottom which is good, so you don't get splayed leg in the squabs. then I just put clay cat litter in the bottom or stall dry and some shavings, then give the birds pine needles to build a nest with and walla, nesties.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will be posting pics when I get the birds. My loft looks so lonely right now!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts