Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with I have looking at Pigeon-Talk for some time now and think the people here are a great bunch of people. I've been out of racing for about 40 years now. A friend I just found out has some homers and rollers and he asked me to help him. He has been feeding chicken feed for two years so he wouldn't have to buy the grit and the more expensive seed mix. I've told him if he is going to get into it more and start breeding them he needs to start with the right feed. Can you just start them with the right feed or should they be taken off the chicken feed slowly so it's not as big of a shock to their system? :confused:In trying to help him I'm getting the strangest urge to get back into the birds.:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes you are right,any changes should be made slow, they should have at least some pigeon grain, for the breeders it is good to have at least 16% protien in the diet. I feed half pigeon pellet from purina and half pigeon grain.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use the wild bird seed for cardinals and bluejays and then I add, barley, lentils, yellow and green split peas, whole corn, and popcorn, and the laying pellets for chickens. I hope you get back into racing and if not racing just keeping pigeons would be a nice hobby for you. min

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I use Purina Gold pelletts--I am not a serious Racer--but my squabs turn out good and the Racers will come home from 150 miles. With no choice of different grains they do not throw out feed everwhere.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I use Purina Gold pelletts--I am not a serious Racer--but my squabs turn out good and the Racers will come home from 150 miles. With no choice of different grains they do not throw out feed everwhere.
they should'nt be throwing feed if your NOT over feeding them, just about all the feed should be gone in about 20 mins. if they pick and choose you are over feeding them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all these different types of feed, do you use grit with them all? I can't believe how much this beautiful sport has change in the time I've been out of it.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Forgot to mention---I leave the feed for them 24/7--have automatic waterers And do not go to the loft "ever" day.As I have said I'm not a serious Racer-I guess you could say I have "homers" --I don't think anyone enjoys the birds more than I do. Just ship a bird and have it come home.No--I can not go in my loft and point-out winners. I raced the pigeons for 31 years--NOW just a Laided-Back pigeon guy. I spend more time with my Racing Pigeon Band/Ring Collection now. Keeping 4100 different rings from 80-85 countries sorted takes a "few" minutes.But being 73 years old WHAT else can I do???????? For you younger Folks--It takes me all day just to "do" what I used to "do" all day.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My birds still pick and choose and I don't over feed them :p That just goes for the breeders though. They're not liking this pellet switch. So they fish through, find out there's nothing but pellets, then eat :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
My birds still pick and choose and I don't over feed them :p That just goes for the breeders though. They're not liking this pellet switch. So they fish through, find out there's nothing but pellets, then eat :rolleyes:
really? my homers get fed the usual 2x a day it is all gone, pellets and all in about 15 mins, sometimes just a few strays are left so I feel that is about right, when I basket them up all of them feel good, so Im sure they are getting enough but not too much they are picky, which I want so they get the vitamins the pellets have in them.... now the breeders with food in with them all the time will eat the pellets last, but they do not get more untill they at least eat most of them, and they do and will if there is nothing else...lol...which again is what I want them to do to get the added benifit..I guess one could always put vitamins in the water to make vitamin intake a bit easier on the keeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts