Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some of my birds tonight, (Rollers and homers) so last night I picked up some grit (Red Cross) and a 50# bag of feed ("Delong Pigeon Mix with corn"). Question (which I should have asked before I bought it) is if the ingredients are okay.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein, min............11%
Crude Fat, min.................2%
Crude Fiber, max...............3%

Ingredients

Whole corn, Wheat, Milo, Canadian Field Peas, Maple Peas, Austrian Peas,
Oat Groats.

Or should I add more stuff to it and if so what? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Henry is right, Protien should be 15% more when its time to breed. As cold as it has been I think the fat should be uped to at least 3 1/2%.
Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
protein

11% protein is too low. you want to have at least 15% protein.

You can add pigeon pellets to increase the protein.
His bag said 11% min, I thought corn was 15%, the mix seems good for a base but he could add safower or canadian peas. I know there is a thread out there that has all this but I could not find it quickly, I will do a little more searching or maybe somebody else will find it >Kevin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like ingredients on our food the first one is the most and second is the next most and so on. Is that true with pigeon feed too? I listed in order as it's on the label.

Kevin- is canadian peas different then Canadian Field Peas?

Dave- what would a guy add to increase the fat? (I could give them some of mine and not lose a wink on sleep over it)

Thanks guys.>Bob

·
Registered
503 Posts
Reiki, pigeon will survive on 11% feed, now if you are going to breed and once the eggs hatch and their feeding the young then you increase the protein to 16-20% protein. 11% should be okay to keep the fat off from your breeders before pairing them up. To increase your 11% just add safflower and peanuts I also mix the 20% chicken laying pellets just to augment the cost of the grains.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dave. I opened the bag and it looked a little lite on corn. But then what do I know about it, it's the first bag of feed I've bought in 40 years:)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Whole corn may be a bit large for rollers, you should go with popcorn. Pellets is a good idea to mix in. Crazy pete is right on the protein and fat levels.
Kurps

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am just getting ready to place my feed order thru my Club. So far I have been bumming feed from friends. I have been feeding 15.5% Protein w/popcorn.It says not less then 3.5% crude fat. I also add 20% Layer pellets. So far so good. Babies are fat and healthy! I pay $15.70 per 50 lb thru the club..50 per 50lb goes to the club.
Jack

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Reike3: Do you have birds yet? Be sure to smell your bag of seed real close because of the rain and stuff. I heard a real large grain holder or silo in Indiana somewhere--one of the largest is shutting down half its operation--How depressing is this--think it houses soybeans and beans and stuff like that and your state is next to it I believe--did you get the message I sent...c.hert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C.hert--Yes I have some now. I bought seven home last night and four tonight. One of the homer pair mated up already and there doing their thing so in a couple of weeks things will start happening. What is the feed to smell like?

Soymi69-- thanks for that info. I have printed it out and will look for that stuff.

M Kurps--Is that pop corn like people have on movie night?

G

·
C.hert--Yes I have some now. I bought seven home last night and four tonight. One of the homer pair mated up already and there doing their thing so in a couple of weeks things will start happening. What is the feed to smell like?

Soymi69-- thanks for that info. I have printed it out and will look for that stuff.

M Kurps--Is that pop corn like people have on movie night?
yes thats like the popcorn for movie night as opposed to cow corn though mine have never had a problem eating either type ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That ratio is a maintenance feed. For breeding you have to increase the protein intake either by adding more peas or perhaps putting some (pigeon) pellets. To add fat you can also add safflower. Pop corn are those un-popped ones. They are smaller than the yellow big corn. Here are some pictures of seeds:
http://www.racingbirds.com/feed.html

Now if you want to know how to calculate feed concentration as in you want to know how much to add stuff, then you can try this scientific calculation:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/LIVESTK/01618.html

In your case if you want to increase the protein concentration to 16% from 11% by adding peas (assuming that peas have 25% protein), then you just add 9 parts of the feed that you currently have and 5 parts of peas together. I got that by doing the following:

11%------ 9
------ 16----
25%----- 5

Your feed ingredients are fine.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Reike3: Its hard to describe the smell but the best way I can is not nothing wet or moldy or any kind of off smell---smells healthy---when you smell enough of it you will pick up a good smell and when something not right comes along you will know and question it and with all the rain and stuff and snow and snow--I really suggest that you begin to get in this habit when you open up your new bags of seed. All the seed advice in this thread sounds wonderful but I am not into pellets and I know people say they are better than seeds but I am old fashion what can I say...c.hert

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I'm getting some of my birds tonight, (Rollers and homers) so last night I picked up some grit (Red Cross) and a 50# bag of feed ("Delong Pigeon Mix with corn"). Question (which I should have asked before I bought it) is if the ingredients are okay.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein, min............11%
Crude Fat, min.................2%
Crude Fiber, max...............3%

Ingredients

Whole corn, Wheat, Milo, Canadian Field Peas, Maple Peas, Austrian Peas,
Oat Groats.

Or should I add more stuff to it and if so what? Thanks:confused:
Hi REIKI3 Save your self a lot of trouble buy 16% with popcorn.Adding to 11% can be more costly then buying a feed that costs a bit more then that 11%.You asked if the popcorn was the kind that they sell in the movie house I hpoe that you did not think that you needto popit .Use unpoped pop corn. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hi REIKI3 Save your self a lot of trouble buy 16% with popcorn.Adding to 11% can be more costly then buying a feed that costs a bit more then that 11%.You asked if the popcorn was the kind that they sell in the movie house I hpoe that you did not think that you needto popit .Use unpoped pop corn. GEORGE;)
Well put George! It would be cheaper and save time if you purchased the 16% with corn.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts